1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Three Landscape Painters

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Andrew Fielder, Apr 16, 2019.

1. This is the first orchestral piece I have ever put up for comment anywhere, so I am understandably nervous. I have clung to Mike's words: Remember, we mostly suck most of the time, with occasional moments of greatness. This is the Way of Things, and criticism is how we get better.
    I think the moments of greatness remain far distant, but I have been practicing for a year now, and followed several of the masterclass courses. I enjoy the fact there is always more to learn.
    This piece started as an exercise in orchestration and an attempt to write in a deliberately lyrical open chord style. It went on to evolve into something that began to stand on its own feet as a short compact piece. I offer it for comment both for the music and for the production values. I have slight hearing impairment, so the latter definitely can benefit from ears other than mine....

2. I don't know enough to have much helpful feedback to offer, but I like that it reminds me of Skyrim's ambient tracks.
    The silent parts are a bit too jarring for my taste and disturb the flow in my opinion. I would keep at least one element playing in those moments so that you don't have to wonder if the piece is over already.

3. Thank you for listening and for your comments.

4. I don't know why but around 0,30 / 0,40 I felt like a solo trumpet or solo horn had been right to play.
    Howerver maybe it's ok also like it is.

I really like all the part from 1,00 to 2,05, beautiful! Congratulations.

From 2,50 it begins to be a bit (just a bit) annoying so maybe at 2,50 need something different, like a solo instrument and less strings pads. Maybe there you can drop out completely the strings and doing chords only with brass. Would be better IMHO ;)

5. #5 Andrew Fielder, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Thank you for the feedback. There is an idea behind this piece, in fact a video for it, but this site seems not to favor video so I felt the music should stand alone. Each of the "Three Painters" has a personality, the first in strings, the second in woodwind and the third in brass. In some ways these echo their style of painting, and just as their paintings are connected thematically, so the theme of the music returns in each. Which is a long-winded way of saying why there is no brass at the beginning, and perhaps why the "annoying" section shows the brasher style of the painter. I had thought of a featured solo horn here at one point, maybe I should return to this section.
    However the music should stand by itself, so your comments are interesting, thanks.

Daniele Nasuti likes this.
  6. ah ok, I didn't understand that was correlate to a video, my opinion was only about the music alone.
    The beginning is perfect, as I said you can leave also the way you did. I said that I like the part from 1,00 maybe because the woodwinds come in and you wrote those in a very interesting way for me, very nice.

Re-listening today the unic thing I would change is the part from 2,50 and it's more a thing about composition than sounds, or maybe both, because after 2,50 minutes you do something that were already done in your piece, so at that time I needed to hear something different, I don't know how to explain better...

Maybe someone more experienced than us on the forum can help more ;)