1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

About Structure

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Michel Schallenberg, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Hey guys,

so as I'm trying to compose stuff that is less boring, I'm increasingly intrigued by form and structure.
    I'm fascinated how some pieces remain to feel coherent and logical even though stuff keeps changing all the time. Some pieces even start with one idea and end with another, but when I do that myself it sounds random.

Often when I listen to longer pieces, I loose perspective on how individual parts connect, but I'm still digging it.

Can you give me any advice on this? Things to read/learn, or to pay attention to when listening?

2. Have you purchased @Mike Verta 's class on Structure. Start there, You know the advice is going to be solid, practical, and made easy to understand.

There are also 2 youtube clips for "development" on Mike's channel.

3. I kinda overlooked that one. Bought it ;)

I'll check out the YT Videos, thanks!

4. Read Schoenberg's "Fundamentals of Musical Composition".