1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is this snare hit so satisfying?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Josh Fleming, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Newb question here. The song is Cantaloupe Island by Herbie Hancock:

At 0:34 there's an exposed snare hit on the 4th beat. What is he doing here, and why is it so satisfying?

2. Classic tune! It sounds like a rim shot, which is just a special kind of hit that strikes both the head of the drum and the rim together at the same time. Hitting the rim adds more snap to the attack so it cuts through even more than a regular hit. Like this:

Josh Fleming likes this.
  3. It's neither. It's just a cross-stick. Stick turned around, with the fat end striking the rim. With so much syncopation and anticipated beats, I suspect what you find satisfying about it is how clearly it is in its setup on beat 4 for the next bar.

Simon Pajak and Josh Fleming like this.
  4. There a similar hit (another cross-stick?) right at 1:30 in Freddie Freeloader during Wynton Kelly's solo, right on the second beat at the beginning of his third set of changes:

As with basically everything else on this record, it's sublime.

Josh Fleming likes this.