1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheat from Chaff

Discussion in 'GUNS, GUNS, GUNS!' started by Rohann van Rensburg, Nov 17, 2020.

1. As many pistol shooters know, the internet/world is filled with tactical posers who teach woefully inadequate or otherwise outdated information. I quickly realized this after the little I was taught about pistol shooting in the CF, as well as learning how to shoot from various YouTube sources and eventually encountering IPSC shooters at a local range. Many of the "principles of marksmanship" applicable to bullseye shooting are the opposite of what one should be doing while shooting with any degree of speed. Adages like "all emphasis on the front sight" and "hear the trigger reset" are quickly upturned by grandmaster shooters like Rob Leatham and Dan Horner (who teach units like CAG and Army SF) when they explain concepts like point shooting, acceptable accuracy, soft sight focus, learning to shoot without a sight, etc.

With that said, considering this forum is primarily one built on the theme of pursuing excellence, I'd like to aggregate "good" instructors here, as well as recommendations from you folk.

For online materials:
    -Rob Leatham's videos on YouTube as well as podcasts he's guested on
    -Bob Vogel's videos
    -Mike Glover's pistol class from Fieldcraft Survival (his whole company is ace with some excellent instructors -- I'd also recommend his website Americancontingency.com if you live in the US and want updates on potential hazard situations like "protests").

TD Gary likes this.
  2. Rob Leatham's videos got me from squeezing the trigger to actually getting shots off quickly by significantly increasing the grip, cant, and position of my support hand. Made a huge difference. But then Taran and his team made a small but crucial adjustment in distribution - they moved my grip to 80% support hand, 20% dominant/firing hand. Essentially, my support hand is doing all the work; clamping down on the firing hand which is extremely loose, now - this made it far easier to pull the trigger faster, and removed issues with drift from the trigger pull itself. It was night and day on the range. It will take a bit of time to retrain my muscle memory, but it's totally worth it.

Rohann van Rensburg and TD Gary like this.