1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Violation of Funk code of NE1469

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Doug Gibson, Oct 4, 2020.

1. I noticed this forum had a serious omission with all the talk of samples and templates.

As per the law of funk quoted above:

Every good forum should have the following song

Soooo nasty !!!!

Love the part at :20". I think that dude literally busted a nut.

Cody Ortz likes this.
  2. I posted this on Twitter awhile back. The comments section is almost as good as the tune.

3. Moanin' is a GREAT tune. We played a funk concert in my undergrad and it was programmed as the opening. We also had Bob Mintzer's "Computer" on there:

4. Thanks for the reply Cody. I am sure I will royally piss off Mike, who is a fan of Mintzer's, and say I can't get into the aesthetic of his music.
    Technically, I really appreciate it.

To me, this is a prime example of "White Jazz Matters". Risk-free, and following safely in the footsteps of the innovators.

Don't get me wrong: It's not about race at all. It's about artistic intent. I like the edges. Where there exist bacteria there is life.
    When it's sanitized, I can do without.

White dudes can bring it too. In my lifetime I can only hope to aspire to half the "funk-a-licious-ness" of one Charlie Hunter

Check him out playing BOTH bass and guitar at the same time. Also, compare the difference between drummers on Mintzer and this.
    Both are amazing players, but one is kept in check and sounds like a "session player" and the other is cutting loose.

That's my boy. Make it nasty.

Cody Ortz likes this.
  5. I’m not hip to Charlie Hunter, but that is an awesome clip. I’ll have to dive more into that!

That’s definitely a fair statement. “White bread,” is what my old teacher used to call it. And Peter Erskine (the drummer) is 100% that. Especially his earlier stuff with Stan Kenton; super white.

I will say though, even white bread arrangements can have a lot of gravy when you have a good group of people who play on those edges. I played with a group in Pittsburgh—the Slope Street Big Band—most of the guys doing their graduate studies at Duke and gigging on the weekends. We did some sessions at Jergels and that’s when I noticed the rhythm section in particular can take a stale arrangement and make it legit. I feel like a lot of that is built up from the hang. The musicians care about the piece more and put more into it when it’s coming from a guy they know and like. That’s something that’s missing from session musicians. I think Mike even alludes to that in some of his masterclasses—building relationships with the musicians so your music is performed with more heart and care.

6. Honestly, it's just my own personal bias. I don't think it has anything to do with how much they put into it.

I have a whole list of people who I have the utmost respect, as I recognize that they are an artist of the highest caliber, but never
    care to hear them in a concert setting. I say that, as often they can be great teachers and provide wonderful insights.

I've had a few teachers like that, and they were wonderful influences.

I think Steely Dan put a lot of heart and soul into their music. I just hate their songs. Weather Report is like the who's who at the top
    of jazz at that time, and I think their songs range from lame (Birdland) to average.

Now that I am thinking about it, maybe I am more like aligned with Keith Jarrett in that electricity kills jazz. All the synth stuff and quasi rock tone guitars ....... not my cup o tea.