1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

[UPDATE] Started transcribing Superman...Came up with a piece instead

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Duncan Formosa, Jul 12, 2020.

1. #1 Duncan Formosa, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    For the record, I'm not saying this is anywhere near the quality of the Superman theme, I'm just really bad at coming up with titles and the piece was just an accident.

This is just a first pass piano sketch at the moment. There are a few ideas I really like and others where I'm kind of on the fence, so I thought I'd post it to see if anyone brings them up so I know whether or not to give them the chop before orchestrating it...Also gives me some time to come up with a better title.

UPDATE

Spent 20 hours trying to orchestrate this...Good thing I'm not doing this as a job. One thing I'm starting to notice is that I really f***ing hate playing this into a DAW. I can never get the expression to sound right, feels like I'm constantly fighting the VST. Hopefully, with some more practice I'll get my pieces to be more expressive but for now I think I need to put this piece aside and work on something else. Maybe I'll come back to it at some point.

Please let me know what you think of this.

Michael Lückgen and Leo Borruso like this.
  2. #2 Michael Lückgen, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Love this piece Duncan!

The only thing what I think could be improved is the part from 2:13 to 2:30.
    For me it looses a lot of momentum here. What about skipping this part and modulating up instead so we go into 2:30 with more power?

But this may be just personal preference

3. Spent 20 hours trying to orchestrate this...Good thing I'm not doing this as a job. One thing I'm starting to notice is that I really f***ing hate playing this into a DAW. I can never get the expression to sound right, feels like I'm constantly fighting the VST. Hopefully, with some more practice I'll get my pieces to be more expressive but for now I think I need to put this piece aside and work on something else. Maybe I'll come back to it at some point.

Please let me know what you think of this.

Michael Lückgen likes this.
  4. Hey,

Sorry, bit late in seeing this. Was trying to aim for the build up in the Superman theme just before everything kicks off. I've done the orchestration, let me know if you still think it doesn't work and if you like the piece overall

Michael Lückgen likes this.
  5. I know exactly what you mean. I'm constantly struggling with this myself.

Funny I just thought this to myself on a piece I am working on :D
    I can't stand it anymore and wish to get done with it and move on. But maybe instead I will try to work on something else for a while.

With the orchestration I think it totally works! For me at least. Overall I like your piece!
    It sounds like you are struggling with the vst instruments, as you said for yourself.

I like the structure and the overall vibe of it.
    As for the orchestration I don't feel qualified to give any meaningful feedback :/

Duncan Formosa likes this.