1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

TV Title Sequence

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Vladimir Sitko, May 19, 2020.

1. #1 Vladimir Sitko, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Hello, Everybody!

This is a short piece of music I wrote in 2008 for a title sequence for docudrama TV series. It was my second and last effort in this field, soon after I happily switched to audio post production and music editoring :)

Recently, I found this theme in my archive. I almost hated hearing it back then, but ten years after it sounds not too horrible to me :) though a bit amateurish and out-dated.

Audio: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p78q9ady6tuic6z/TV Stinger Title Sequence.mp3?dl=0

Please, make comments on my little piece of music.

Making this piece I tried to use 'quartal upper structures' as many as possible :) I was really obsessed with them at that time.

After figuring out the chord progression that fitted the timing I top-lined a melody that is shared between a trumpet (with a French horn answering) and a piano.

There are three segments in this piece (6+3+3): 6 bars of the first statement starts in A-dur and ends up in some uncertainty, then enters a new statement (3 bars) in Gis-dur with a more clear message. And finally, 3 bars of a descending chromatic movement (kinda jazzy cadence) ending in Cis-dur.

With every next segment a harmony flow doubles its tempo. In the first one, each chord lasts two bars. In the second one: one chord - one bar. In the third one: two chords in one bar.

It is a post-analysis. When I was composing this piece of music, I was not planning anything. I just followed my gut. The only thing I was aware of was a desire to use my beloved quartal chords :)

P.S. A week ago I bought six Mike's masterclasses. Now I am searching for where I can buy the time to watch them :)

George Streicher likes this.
  2. Sounds pretty rad to me! Mix could use a little work, however.

Vladimir Sitko likes this.
  3. Thank you very much!

I did work. But it seems that little work should be done not by me :)

George Streicher likes this.