1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying the "epic" shtick

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Duncan Formosa, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Not had a chance to write anything in a while so while I had a bit of down time I thought "okay, try to come up with something within the next 2 hours" and came out with this.

Figured that despite the fact I complain about this "epic" sound I should at least try doing it once.

2. While I think the complaints are 100% warranted, it's at least pertinent to understand why you don't like something, or why it sucks. I think this was a reasonable interpretation of the "trailer music" sound albeit with less bombastic production, but what's useful here is seeing how relatively little musical content there is when you strip away the fancy production and loud drum hits of typical trailer music.

Duncan Formosa likes this.
  3. Ah it's like minor 3rd ostinato heaven! I'd say mission accomplished and definitely tick that one off the list. Perhaps more horns? Louder? Choir? Also could you sustain that sound for longer if you wanted to?

4. The god fart at the end was a nice touch.

5. Didn't want to go too far out in terms of the bombastic sound. My brother had told me to add more drums on the main melody which is probably what would have happened on traditional trailer music, but I just didn't think it was needed. Was almost trying to do the sound without just trying to chuck everything but the kitchen sink in.

I thought 9 horns would have been enough haha.

Was debating whether to extend the track a bit, but it's not the most interesting piece in the world so it felt a bit pointless. Although...having said that, a family member told me it was my best one yet...I don't know if they are saying that to be encouraging but it made me sad haha!

I had thought about doing that if I had extended it. Put a B section in, then play the A theme with a key change with choir taking over or a solo voice. A bit like some of the two steps from hell tracks.

Not "epic" without at least 1 god fart

David Healey likes this.
  6. About half way through, I expected to hear some Ennio Morricone trumpets and cowboys whistling.

7. I think it might be interesting to extend the track and actually do some development.
    If someone of your family says that they like it and it's your best piece then you might have a good tune there (and it sure is easy to remember). And the progression is cool, and makes you feel something.
    So why not take it as a challenge and move the piece on from where you got it.
    Make up a story of a hero who is strong, but then looses all of his powers and has to regain strength (because you can't build from what you already got).
    It's in the style nobody of us likes, but still it's the style of this time. That doesn't mean that it can't be made musical and developed.

So the way I see it is that you got the listeners hooked with what you already got. That's a great opportunity to show them some new places where it can go. It might blow their mind.

Duncan Formosa likes this.
  8. The other EPIC thing to do is throw some production in the mix (pardon the pun). Have you tried running the whole thing or parts through a compressor, limiter, saturation, EQ etc? I would look at some of the mixing techniques the EDM guys are using to achieve maximum perceived loudness and fullness. MORE LOUDER. EPIC + EPIC = EVEN MORE EPICER.

9. Nope, all of it is just the samples straight out of the box. I never do any of that stuff on my pieces cause I don't know what I'm doing haha! Mixing and mastering just completely baffles me. But that's a good tip to look at some EDM tutorials for this kind of track, I hadn't thought of that!