1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Transcription Exercise: The Master - by Mike Verta

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Duncan Formosa, Jul 8, 2020.

1. I had an idea for a piece a few weeks ago which is very focussed on the brass section. Got it all on the piano but had no idea where to start with the orchestration. I immediately started re-watching the live symphonic brass class and then started transcribing the first piece of the class titled "The Master."

Already learned a lot from doing this piece, lots of orchestration stuff that I didn't know you could do.

Also, it was really useful just listening to the stems and listening how the players played and try to play with them individually and try to work out how you could try and get close to it on the keyboard.

If you haven't bought this class I strongly recommend it. There's so much to learn from the video as well as breaking down the pieces and listening to each player individually in the stems.

Anyway, here is what I managed to get down. I think it's the best mockup I've done so far.

Alex O'Hagan and Doug Gibson like this.