1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

THEME MUSIC FOR "NO TIME TO DIE" JAMES BOND 007 (fan made)

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Vlad Zavin, Feb 17, 2020.

?

Do you like it?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. If you were commissioned to write a theme music for a James Bond or Mission Impossible movie, what would it sound like?
    Here is my approach to writing a theme for a spy film

What are your thoughts? Please vote if you like it or not.

Cheers

Bjarke Tan likes this.
  2. You have some cool ideas in there.

But .................. Is the piano @:16 meant to be a place holder for where you have a singer and lyrics etc. ?

You gotta lose that piano. You just have to. It honestly makes everything else less interesting too.

So, I voted no. :(

Sorry, but wanted to give an honest answer

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  3. Hi Doug, thanks for feedback. Not sure if I understood your suggestion to "loose piano at 0:16", as this is the opening of the main motif. You don't think that piano is a good choice as an instrument for this track, or this does not sound like a motif, or it was something else that you had in mind? By the way, I re-used and re-purposed this motif from an earlier track of mine "Cheer Up", just put it in a different context

4. Well, to be honest with you it would be two things.

1. No, I don't think the piano is ideal instrumentation
    2. The piano sound you have is not very good

My apologies if I am being too harsh here. I closed my eyes and imagined if I was submitting the cues to the directors/producers.

Don't get me wrong.....you have some fine ideas, it's just not yet up to professional Hollywood standard. (In my opinion)

Indeed when I listened I had a very high bar I was looking from. Again, my apologies if I come across as overly negative.

I would switch up the instrumentation more, and not have the ostinato in the background go on for that long. Or develop it more.

Lastly, I feel like the piano - or any pitched percussion - gives it a moodier more introspective vibe than Bond films go for.

Funny, I was going to link this opening cue to a spy film I was orchestrator on, and then I found --- I guess someone produced a trailor version of one of the cues from the film. I am including it, as I felt the mystery cue has a lot in common with yours.

Opening Cue

Mystery Version

5. Hi Doug, no need to apologize :) I really appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback, and you absolutely correct when comparing my track against the best in business. This is the only way to understand where do you stand as a composer and how does your music compare to other composers. Especially today with literally millions of tracks on streaming web sites. I read somewhere that, nowadays, there are more professional composers (ie people who has a degree) than at any other time in the past.

I guess this may be a good topic for your blog :)

You probably heard about Price's law https://dariusforoux.com/prices-law/
    When applied to music, according to it, a tiny proportion of musicians produces almost all the recorded commercial music. Just four classical composers (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and Tchaikovsky) wrote almost all the music played by modern orchestras. Bach, for his part, composed so prolifically that it would take decades of work merely to hand-copy his scores, yet only a small fraction of this prodigious output is commonly performed. The same thing applies to the output of the other three members of this group of hyper-dominant composers: only a small fraction of their work is still widely played. Thus, a small fraction of the music composed by a small fraction of all the classical composers who have ever composed makes up almost all the classical music that the world knows and loves.

6. I never think about things like this, and honestly can't see what good it would do anyone.
    Seems to me it would just make one want to give up.

You are most welcome. Look....keep going. By all means, post another version here and I am happy to give you feedback anytime you wish.

One thing missing from your track (and perhaps this is an artistic choice on your part) is the iconic "twangy guitars".
    In a lot of ways, I think that would scream 007 more so than piano.

Also........learn from the people you admire. Are you able to transcribe music by ear?

If so...... then perhaps do a takedown of some of your favorite moments say from this video.

It will be like taking steroids to your music.

Keep on going, and hold your head up high about your talent and abilities. Enjoy the precious gift that it is to be able to compose music.

George Streicher likes this.