1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Tommi Uimonen, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Saw it today, no spoilers. For me it was emotional also due to the fact that JW has stated that won't score any SW stuff after this. So basically the inevitable trilogies and whatever to come, they will definitely be lacking almost everything that created the SW universe for me at least.

But I'll always have the the original trilogy and nothing can take those memories away (well Alzheimer perhaps but then I can be surprised again about Vader and Luke). I just hope Disney would release the _original_ ones someday..

2. #2 Aaron Olson, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Okay, so

I saw this last night and thought it was a hot mess. The plot was barely coherent, full of holes and moments they did not earn. The music was a boring rehash of the older films. The pacing was far too quick and choppy, like some kind of YouTube supercut. It's pretty clear they had a large mess on their hands after Johnson left.

I really liked the shots of the ruined superstructures (the Death Star and Star Destroyers) on the planets' surfaces and I love the idea of people living their post-war lives in the shadow of those gigantic metal husks.

I wish JJ hadn't put the emphasis back on the Skywalker and Palpatine bloodlines; the idea that the Force could arise in anyone is a direction that benefited the series.

Overall, the movie is half Rian Johnson, half JJ Abrams, and half gratuitous fan service. I was fucking exhausted when it was done. Nice cameo of JW as the bartender though!

edit: according to rumour, the film's production is an even larger mess than the film itself. I don't really care about all this, but it might be an interesting explanation for why the film is so bad.

3. Friends of mine wanted to drag me to see it on opening night, but I had heard so many negative rumors in advance (and was still so frustrated from the last movie we saw together) that I refused. I'm glad I did. Don't really feel like catching up on Star Wars at this point.

I did however watch this video and thought it might be interesting to some of you here (even though it's a little more focused on the games than movies):