1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

The Automaton (piano)

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Alex O'Hagan, May 13, 2020.

1. Hey guys! I wrote the first little A and B section of this piano thing a while ago, and I could never figure out how to develop it into something bigger. its kind of become part of my practicing to take this and just explore around with it and come up with new sections.
    after fiddling around with a bunch of different versions that never really seemed to work, i ended up with this one which I actually kind of like now. my objectivity on this is completely gone though from playing it a million times so I would love to hear some outside opinions.

Ive been trying to learn more about notation so any thoughts on the score would also be cool. Recently I've been writing everything down and even though I'm really slow at it, it helps soo much. (It kinda calls you on your bullshit, when you have to justify every note you played.)

Attached Files:

2. You have issues here, but first note: Don't mark all the pedals. Just write "with Pedal" at the first bar. Also, up until about bar 9, that left hand might as well be in treble clef. On the score, write your chords for each bar to get a better sense of what's going on and repost.

3. thanks mike! here is the updated version. I fixed some things that I found weird once I put the chords down. in all honesty at bar 37 I didn't really know what some of the chords I was playing were. I was just exploring around and moving one note at a time until I came across something that I thought was cool, then realized I could get to the Bb chord and get into Eb. that seemed like a good place to wrap it up with the "major" version of the first melody. Im not sure if the way I labeled the chords in that part is right, it seems way more confusing than it should be.

PS: dumb question, is the "with pedal" supposed to be on the bottom or the top of the staff?

Attached Files: