1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Mario Big Band

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Tino Danielzik, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Hey guys,

I just stumbled about this video. Keep in mind I am not a Jazz guy and I don‘t know a lot about Big Band music (fingers crossed for a masterclass coming up ;)), so maybe I am totally wrong here: I really like a lot about this arrangement and they really put a lot of work into this, but at the same time I have the feeling that something isn‘t quite right here. I can‘t really say what it is, is it the voicing, the harmonies, the orchestration or just the mix? Often I had the feeling there is just this huge wall of sound all way through. Since I am very familiar with the original music from the NES game I was able to follow the melodic structure, but this arrangement really made it hard for me at times. Maybe I am just not very used to this kind of music and it is my lack of competence here, but maybe someone of you with more experience in this genre can tell me his/her opinion.

Regards,
    Tino

2. #2 Bradley Boone, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    The arrangement was fine to my ear, but it was heavy in parts. My biggest gripe was the mix: bass too low, sections not balanced (and it varied throughout), trumpet soloist too low, etc. The Latin section was the best mix in my opinion. How much of this is due to over orchestrating and how much is due to the mix? Recognizing this is in a studio environment, and not a true live event, I come down harder on the mixing.

The video had good editing (3 panel layout, good cuts around the studio, synced to the game). I enjoyed it and will check out a couple more covers on their channel.

Edit: after listening through another sound system (not studio headphones) with a subwoofer, the mix was a bit better.