1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Snipper & Snapper (Big band template test)

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Haakon Davidsen, Aug 17, 2018.

  1. #1 Haakon Davidsen, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Hi!
    (I´ve posted this on VI-Control as well)

    I started working on a new big band/jazz template, and wrote a short piece trying to set it up. This is my first attempt to write for standard big band ensemble, so I would love to get some feedback on both mixing and orchestration.



    Everything is from Project Sams Swing and Swing More. Had a really hard time using the clarinet from Swing More, so I ended up using the clarinet from Cinewinds Core.
     
    Paul T McGraw and Aaron Venture like this.
  2. Hey,

    The link's not showing, but it's on your SoundCloud. Anyway, sounds cool! For such a short snippet, orchestration sounds fine to me. My big band credentials are non-existent, so someone else might chime in with quality advice.

    The mix balancing is good. I don't own the Project Sam libraries so I can't really speak as to how they're internally balanced, but this sounds pretty good, whether it's you or the libraries :D The clarinet does jump out a bit; a little bit too full-sounding, even more so than the brass. Take off a few dB in its lower mids.

    The brass is imaged in an old-school, a-lot-of-close-mics-and-an-AB-setup way, at least to my ears. Nothing wrong with it, I just personally prefer techniques that offer more width. You can "fake" that by using the Haas effect on the brass: add one tap, set a ~15ms delay, pan it all the way to the other side and reduce it volume. Continue to add taps until you're satisfied (but generally one should do).

    Drums sound great, I'm just missing a bit of punch on them. A compressor of your choice with a high attack and low release should help (or a transient shaper, if you wanna go that way).

    Finally, it sounds a bit dull overall. I would add increase the treble range, but watch out for the 5KHz area (maybe put a dynamic EQ there to stop any peaks).

    So I'm technically nitpicking, but the devil is in the details :). And as you can see, it's not much that you have left to do. So great job!
     
  3. Hey! Thanks for your reply! I edited the post now, so the link should be correct! :)

    I had to do some balancing between the instruments, but not much. Just some volume balance, some eq and reverb. Project Sams libraries are in my experience pretty well balanced.
    I kinda like the mic setup, but I can experiment with the haas effect.
    I will indeed try to add some compression on the drums. Drums are pretty much "out of the box", only a little bit of tweaking with mic setup.

    I am very glad for feedback, even just nitpicking :)
     
  4. Think nothing of it!

    I'm looking forward to the update.
     

Share This Page