1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Sibelius - DAW ?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Doug Gibson, May 28, 2018.

1. #2 Raphael Badawi, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Cool to pre-layout some CC things, but seems pretty unaccurate since it is not routed to actual VSTs, and each virtual instrument has a different dynamic range. Unless I missed something?

EDIT: My bad. Never used a VST with Sibelius, didn't know it had VST capability!

2. I read the article in the link. My guess is that I will still be using Sibelius with NotePerformer for composing and Cubase for midi-performance. But for those of us who are notation oriented, perhaps someday?

Leonardo Badinella likes this.
  3. Wow, that's pretty awesome. Not a complete replacement for a DAW, but the ability to tweak crescendos, velocities, etc. in Sibelius would be nice. I'm curious if it would work well with NotePerfomer. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Doug!

4. Has anyone tried Overture 5? I'm liking it. I used Notion prior to that and liked it except for the CC control, which is non-existent, and key switching was clumsy. OV5 give full CC control. I really like the keyswitching capabilities where expressions and articulation symbols can be set individually, per staff or for the entire score to control a VST.

This is a split view of notation and MIDI editing.

upload_2018-5-29_9-24-21.png

Articulation Control Panel - staccato. This is for a Spitfire library so I am using CC32 instead of keys to do "keyswitching".
    upload_2018-5-29_9-29-28.png

5. @Craig Dukerschein

I have occasionally thought of switching from Notion to Overture, but Notion has that playback rules feature that no other notation software offers. I accomplish really neat stuff with the rulesets, and although you are right that editing CC values in Notion is too hard or even impossible, isn't it usually better to just re-record them anyway?

I mean, I want to ask you, did you ever create rulesets in Notion, and do you miss them in Overture?

Are you able to show something cool you have done in Overture?

6. Nando, I suspect if you were to use the Overture method of keyswitching, directly from the score via articulations/expression symbols, you would like it. It's very immediate and intuitive. You can also define your own expression names with a few clicks. You can define the keyswitching for a set of articulations on a staff and save it the staff as a template or save a set of staves.

Per CC, it depends upon how you work. If you want to control your samples to higher degree you need to tweak CC. It's not that I'm highly skilled at it. The process of working with samples is mostly an irresistible distraction to me and an impediment to moving forward on a piece. It's like having a doughnut shop across the street from your gym. "I wonder if I'm spending too much time in the doughnut shop?" My goal is to get a decent sounding simulation for the least amount of work.

I never miss SW.

You can download a trial version of Overture and check it out. That said, I am not Overture evangelist. Like everything in life, SW is both good and bad (except the SW I write professionally :D).

I have nothing cool to show. If I had 3-D modeling of a period phone booth like Mike, I would wow you. :D

7. @Craig Dukerschein

Today I tried out the Overture demo. I concluded that it is a little behind Notion. The ruleset feature of Notion does everything that you said in your previous message, with a couple of advantages:

- You can assign more than one CC to send when a rule matches (in response to conditions in the score). In Overture you can send only one CC.
    - Each rule can have a complex combination of conditions. For instance, I can create a rule for the staccato dot, and then I can create another rule for when the staccato dot is under a slur. In Overture, any rule you create is relative to a single symbol.

Further, although the creation of CC curves and lines can be done in Overture with the mouse, when it comes to editing them, the situation is just as bad as in Notion. A typical use case for this is, you recorded the expression of your clarinet, and now you think it is too loud. In a typical sequencer you would select all the CC messages and drag them to a lower position and call it a day. In Notion and Overture editing those CC messages is so difficult that you're better off recording the performance again.

Both Notion and Overture are pretty bad at respecting conventions of notation. Overture's slurs look very thin. As a rule of thumb, slurs should go on top of the staff if this won't require extra space, but both Overture and Notion usually put slurs under the notes. Also as a rule of thumb, ties should go down, not up, but again they both don't know this. None of them is a serious option for notation right now.

Overture has an additional disadvantage: It is toolbar-oriented -- as if we had learned nothing since the old Encore days. Your screen is always cluttered with hundreds of symbols, none of which you are using. I yearn for a notation package that would let me do absolutely everything without a mouse, only with the computer keyboard, with zero clicks.

My plan is to switch to Dorico as soon as it has something similar to Notion's rulesets.

8. So @Doug Gibson , did you become a user of Sibelius Graphic Midi Tools? How do you like it?