1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Short Piece for Brass

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Claude Ruelle, Jul 9, 2019.

1. #1 Claude Ruelle, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Here's a short piece I wrote for brass ensemble. Let me know your thoughts

Thanks,
    Claude

2. Congratulations! Nice composition. Lots of good things going on. I really like your harmonies, the dissonances at about 6 to 11 seconds really caught my attention in a good way. Very good job with writing idiomatically for the brass. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you!

3. Nicely done! Was that Adventure Brass?

4. Thanks guys!

Yes, it's all Adventure Brass - I only used the 4 main 'Adventure' patches.

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  5. Hej Claude,
    Thanks for the cool track and using adventure brass for that sorts of situations just works well indeed.
    I like the track and the way how you treated the performance. There is this only thing where I might either love or just simply think its missplaced which is that part of your theme with the clashing notes or dissonance which is obviously done intentionally and carried throughout your track. Probably it could work better if you would voice it in a way so that the dissoance becomes not that obvious to the listener? You know what I mean. I think of how Williams treats dissoances in his famous themes but they are very elegantly hidden and sometimes even not noticeable but they add a nice flavor. There is a fine line...so there is a clash but due to the way how its orchestrated / voiced it is just not stabbing in your ear that much which I think you coud give a try? Thats the only thing where I might try out things.

Thanks for sharing mate.

6. Thanks Alex!

Yes, I struggle a lot with that and very often end up being too much 'on the nose' when using dissonance.

All right then, back in the shed!