1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Short Piece for Brass

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Claude Ruelle, Jul 9, 2019.

1. #1 Claude Ruelle, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Here's a short piece I wrote for brass ensemble. Let me know your thoughts

Thanks,
    Claude

2. Congratulations! Nice composition. Lots of good things going on. I really like your harmonies, the dissonances at about 6 to 11 seconds really caught my attention in a good way. Very good job with writing idiomatically for the brass. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you!

3. Nicely done! Was that Adventure Brass?

4. Thanks guys!

Yes, it's all Adventure Brass - I only used the 4 main 'Adventure' patches.

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  5. Hej Claude,
    Thanks for the cool track and using adventure brass for that sorts of situations just works well indeed.
    I like the track and the way how you treated the performance. There is this only thing where I might either love or just simply think its missplaced which is that part of your theme with the clashing notes or dissonance which is obviously done intentionally and carried throughout your track. Probably it could work better if you would voice it in a way so that the dissoance becomes not that obvious to the listener? You know what I mean. I think of how Williams treats dissoances in his famous themes but they are very elegantly hidden and sometimes even not noticeable but they add a nice flavor. There is a fine line...so there is a clash but due to the way how its orchestrated / voiced it is just not stabbing in your ear that much which I think you coud give a try? Thats the only thing where I might try out things.

Thanks for sharing mate.

6. Thanks Alex!

Yes, I struggle a lot with that and very often end up being too much 'on the nose' when using dissonance.

All right then, back in the shed!

7. #7 Daniele Nasuti, Jul 23, 2019
    really interesting piece compositionally and also the orchestration, but sorry, I can't hear that dissonance at 0,06 and 0,08 I think you ruined all the piece with that... sorry.

However I ask to other musicians here.. about mixing isn't this too much dry?? I'm not able yet to do a good mix and mastering but could someone say me how you would make this better? More reverb? Or something else? and on what instruments?

8. Brass canĀ“t be too dry, I love dry brass but I get what you mean, no wrong to add a bit more soup to taste. :D For such piece I appreciate drier brass also adventure brass has that nice punchy transients as lets indulge us from them. Haha!

Apart from what I allready said:

Probably two things he could try out:

a). Rather than introducing that dissonance so early, keep it up for later as developmental countercontext (think of slapstick indy talks) and feature first a safe version of it which follows a more diatonic frame. Though I start to like that dissonance more.

b). If he wants still to feature it thart early I would revoice the horns in a way that there is no obvious minor second clash. The more elegant way could be to to spread the voicing and support with more diatonic frame harmony, so that the clash factor adds spice rather than being in the center focus of the chord.

Daniele Nasuti likes this.
  9. #9 Claude Ruelle, Jul 24, 2019
    Thanks guys,

I think I'm probably gonna go back and work on that dissonance.

This piece was just a speed-writing exercise for me, so in terms of mixing, I didn't do much. It's simply the stock Adventure Brass patches with a touch of reverb added on the MIX bus.

10. Yeah, man, go for it! Looking forward to the update!

11. A while back a did a MIDI performance of John Williams "Quiddich" from Harry Potter. He did this all-brass arrangement himself, and it is included in one of his orchestral suites.

And here is the actual original

One interesting thing is that the dissonances really stick out much more in the midi version. I think it has something to do with just intonation or something. I can't remember the name of the term, but when we sing or play an instrument we make adjustments in the intonation without even thinking about it.

The second interesting thing is how much dissonance Williams is using, which is a lot. If anyone is interested I can dig out and post my MIDI file.

Finally, @Claude Ruelle I highly recommend trying not to get hung up too much on the perfect amount of reverb. As you can see from just the posts in this thread, it is largely subjective.

12. #12 Claude Ruelle, Jul 24, 2019
    Yeah, I love this brass arrangement! And it was definitely an inspiration for this piece. That's interesting because I totally agree that the dissonances sound ten times sexier when played live.

Here's a new version with the dissonance voiced differently (and also a bit more reverb;)):

Another that I love form Harry Potter is this one - which also has some super sexy dissonances:

I need to analyze this further.

Thanks,
    Claude

Daniele Nasuti likes this.
  13. Beautiful, with reverb now is more pleasant to my ears.. where have you added it? Only for some instruments like trumpets or for all the project?

About that dissonance now is better but I think that is my personal taste about melodies that makes me difficult to like that (I mean the dissonance at 0,06 and 0,08 etc.). The rest of the piece is beautiful to me.
    In that dissonance I think there is one strange note which makes fatiguing to me to ear the whole result.. however is my taste so if you like that keep it as it is ;)