1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Short orchestral piece

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Niko Tompuri, Jul 31, 2019.

1. #1 Niko Tompuri, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Hi!

This is my first post in the forum. I'd like to share with you my latest composition I did for a radio broadcast. The producer wanted some music that would indicate large water masses hitting the shores. I don't you if I managed to capture that image.

I've been composing with virtual instruments a little more than a year now and only recently I began to focus more on the production side. I would appreciate any feedback concerning compositional and productional issues.

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  2. Hi, Niko. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your work. I think the direction you took for indicating waves with the swelling timpani and horns is interesting and holds merit in setting the vibe, but could benefit from some refinement. The fact that it's the same over and over does represent a strong pattern and conveys a kind of ominous relentlessness of waves. However, the musical sameness of it also becomes tiresome. I'd say let nature be a guide here in that not all waves crash at the same location or with the same strength. You could for instance let the timpani remain as a kind of constant, but move what is currently the horn response around in terms of instruments, pitch, dynamics, etc.

Also, you may get more listens if you paste the full web address URL into your message including the https:// prefix. That will allow the forum software to automatically embed the SoundCloud player directly into your message. Right now, it just shows as text that I had to copy and paste into another window.

Hope this helps.
    John.

3. Hi John, and thank you for replying! I find what you said about letting the nature take it's toll here a great advice. I listened to the piece and realized that there isn't really happening much dynamically. How Strange! I could or should try to move things around a bit more also. Yeah, I think I get your point here this being a bit too straight forward at the moment, after all it's the ocean were talking about.

Thanks also for clearing up the web adress issue!

-Niko