1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Scoring over rubato source music

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Marko Dvojkovic, Feb 1, 2020.

1. So, the title basically says it all, how would you approach scoring a sequence in scene over source music that has rhythm all over the place?
    It is basically a melody, some parts are harmonised it is also quite random, there are no repeating figures, but that's not the issue. I normally wouldn't score over it but the assignment is to score the whole scene.
    I developed all of my ideas so far from transcribing that source music, but damn, I know that if it had discernable rhythm I wouldn't be struggling.
    I harmonised it and stick the chords to that source music melody so I guess my score will also be rubato there...
    The only other approach that comes to my mind is to just to put a very long note or chord through whole sequence but I don't know that's kind of lame xD.
    Any other ideas are welcome, thanks folks!

2. Without hearing/seeing what you are describing I don't know how to offer any specific advice.

Trust your instincts, and if you fail......that's how you learn.

Good Luck

3. Ok, here is the scene
    and source music starts at 0:33. I am sorry for not providing the scene in the first place, but I am looking for really general concepts for solving that problem so...

4. It will feel forced as you mentioned the scene does not need any extra soundtrack.

That said:

I would avoid the register that the harmonica is in.

Use a contrasting, but complementary sounding instrument like an acoustic guitar.

Then it's about your storytelling instincts and the direction the director would want the music to convey.

I did a quick improv for you. I used a "Pyhrgian Cadence" and basically followed the harmonica to not interfere with the narrator either.

It's just a rough recording from my phone but you can have a listen here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8647nqz0vmv9n1/Grapes of Wrath.mp3?dl=0

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  5. Thank you very much for suggestions, I am tempted to listen to what you did now, but I will first try and maybe fail on my own as you said and then check it.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.