1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Rugged Path

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Mattia Chiappa, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Hello!

I've worked on this new piece in the past few days. For the last piece I shared, I was given the advice to experiment a bit more with ralls, acc, and using different tempi. I may have gone a bit overboard with that but I'd like to see your opinion.

Thanks!

2. #2 Alexander Schiborr, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Hi Mattia,

How are you doing, mate? Nice to hear some music from you. Template sounds good. To your piece: It has many great moments and colors and delicate orchestrations. Now that is great and also I enjoyed the not so "on the Nose" harmonic progressions. Now the thing is sometimes I feel the theme and structure feels a bit kind of loose and I have my understanding problems not for the ideas itself but where you want to go in terms of seeing your piece standind and stepping a bit back watching it from a Balloon perspective.

What you do well are the different orchestrations, the expression, dynamic treatment here. Also the ideas are cool...let me say that it might be a plan to think about what your core idea is and if you use the rest of the material to "variate" around your most important motifs or to add them as fillers. Because imo one element should thrive aorund the core (1-2 ideas) otherwise it may become to loose and like a medley of many ideas or more "like" gestures. Gestures are cool..but in dose I think, if you use too many of those little gestures / Bumpers / Transitions without developing them really then you walk too much around without pointing to a target. You know what I mean? Now pointing to target is not always needed ,but I guess you wanted to create something like that.

Apart from the little thoughts, I think you create here a cool atmospheric vibe which would fit very good for an underscore in some sort of Sci-fi setting.

3. Always look forward to being graced with one of your pieces.

Alexander already commented and so I have little of value to add beyond what he said, but little thing: the trumpet at around 0:11 kind of threw me off. It sounded like it was sitting "outside the orchestra" so to speak and was a brief distraction. I don't know if it's just a matter of mixing or a first listen, but I enjoyed the piece overall. Your main theme is clear and I like the harmonic variation. I'm with Alexander that the structure doesn't feel quite as "tight" as some of your other pieces but I enjoyed it nonetheless and can't decide if that's a bad thing or not, because I can't seem bothered to write anything but weirder harmony.

4. Thank you @Rohann van Rensburg, you're too kind! There's no trumpet at 0:11 but that reminded me that I wanted to pull down the French horn in that very spot. I'm not sure if that's the thing you hear.

5. Hi @Alexander Schiborr . I'm great thanks, what about you?

You mentioned not understanding the overall shape of the piece despite the ideas being clear and this comment is really making me think about the way I write music. You're right! You're not quite sure where the theme and variations are going to go because I don't know myself. When I write I don't think about these stuff. I try to trust my instincts and create interest with harmonic variety, dynamics and orchestration in some sort of linear approach but I think I need to start planning these said things post fact.

Since you said it almost feels like medley of different little bumpers, I can't stop hearing that way too, thing I did not before and it does bother me very much. I know what you mean by that and that was not my original intent at all.

Thanks for sharing your opinion and support. I will work on this!

6. Haha, I don't know why I said trumpet. Ironic that I was quizzing my daughter on the difference in pieces of music before that.

Mattia Chiappa likes this.
  7. I really like it! It reminds me of the good times I had playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

8. For what it is worth. Hope you find one or two things of use. Discard anything that does not work for you.

Wishing you all the best

Doug

Aaron Venture likes this.
  9. Thank you so much @Doug Gibson for your advice and appreciation. I agree with everything you said in the video and I will take a lot from this. I'm already trying to apply some of these things you and Alexander mentioned here to a new piece I'm writing.

Doug Gibson likes this.