1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

RME Babyface or Apollo Twin

Discussion in 'Current Gear' started by Mattia Chiappa, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Hello!

I need to get a new audio interface and I can't quite decide between these two. It seems like with the Apollo you get more for pretty much the same price. I like the its design, the plugins and the clean pre-amps it comes with. On the other hand, from my understanding the Babyface has better converters and lower latencies, which is ideal since I mostly work with MIDI. Do you know how the 2 compare in these regards?

Whichever I pick, I'll likely end up using for years and it's an important decision. I'm not strong about these stuff and even if I've read a lot about it in the past 2 days, I'd still like to get your advice.

Thank you!

2. I haven't used the Apollo, but I have the Babyface and recently upgraded to the RME Fireface US (Usb). The RME is known for solid drivers and I have not had any issues in that regard. Do you have Thunderbolt? I believe almost all of the Apollos are Thunderbolt based, so that might be an issue.

I think the conventional wisdom on this subject would be to get the Apollo if the plugins are more important to you, otherwise get the RME. Honestly you probably can't go wrong either way. There are many people using both of them.

One more thing I will mention is that the RME Total Mix software can be a bit confusing at times. I am setting mine to DAW mode most of the time now and am happy with that. Prior to that it seemed like things would change in the software without me changing them and I don't know why. Anyway, a lot of people love Total Mix so it is probably more my problem than anything else.

There are limits on the processing power for the smaller Apollo units. This link was shared on VIC a while ago illustrating some of this - https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215262223-UAD-2-DSP-Chart?mobile_site=true So if you want to use a pultec on every track in an orchestral piece.....