1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Remote Access Setup

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Cody Ortz, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Hi everyone!

I'm trying to access my home computer from my laptop so I get some work done while I'm traveling. I'm using Chrome Remote Desktop and it works well enough, except I can't get any sound. (Kind of important.) I think the issue is that Remote Desktop doesn't pick up sound from the ASIO drivers. I've tried linking the ASIO drivers to the WMD drivers with a program called VoiceMeeter, but no luck so far.

Has anyone tried this kind of remote access thing? I'm mostly using Cubase 7 and Dorico 2. I'm not tied to the remote access software at all. Thanks in advance!

George Streicher likes this.
  2. I personally use either Teamviewer and Splashtop, but not for audio work, which I think would be impractical due to the lag. Technically, though, both work, and cross platform.

3. Is your laptop a chromebook? Windows has a solid remote desktop tool built-in, however, you will still run into issues with sound. Even if you manage to configure the drivers in such a way that your remote desktop viewing application receives sound (this is perfectly possible), you will run into massive latency issues. Now, there may be solutions for this, but if they exist I'm not aware of them. As a fairly tech-savy person, I've found that working with audio over remote connections is pretty much a dead end You'll be better served trying to find a way to do the work you need to do on your laptop itself, and think of ways to sync projects.

What kind of work are you trying to do over a remote connection? If it's very simple audio editing, you may stand a chance still, but if it's mockup work... I don't see it working, though I'd love to be proved wrong!

4. This. As I understand it, ASIO bypasses Windows, so unless you bridge it (like with VoiceMeeter as you've said) you'll be stuck with high latency windows audio (WDM, MME, etc.). Configuring the ASIO bridge is a chore and prone to pops, cracks, and drop outs on my system. The bit depth and sample rate of all audio inputs and outputs must match. On top of the internal latency issues (and potential audio problems), throw on top of that the network latency introduced by the network Mike mentioned and you're asking for too much.

Investing in a beefy laptop with NVME or m.2 SSDs and a fair amount of RAM is the best (and costliest) solution. With your Steinberg key, you'd just take your license on the road - don't lose or break it.