1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

R.I.P. E.V.H

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Doug Gibson, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Wow.

Eddie Van Halen passed away today.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  2. #2 Gregory D. Moore, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Such terribly sad news. I grew up in the same town and would watch those guys play at backyard parties and high school dances. Eddie was good from the first time I saw him, he was always so cool looking and such an inspiration and had that unique picking style with his Les Paul from the beginning. Even in Jr. High, those guys practiced like crazy across the street at (David's) girlfriend's house. That's how they got good, just practicing constantly like a concert pianist and having great fun while they were at it. RIP Eddie.

I just read that Eddie studied with a classical pianist who came from the St. Petersberg Conservatory who went to school with Prokofiev (probably a few years later). Even though Eddie didn't learn to read music, he probably learned a bit about practicing, hard work, and listening from this old guy. Its interesting that there are these connections, as I believe some of his skills might be attributed to what was passed on through the ages. It surely seems more than just a coincidence.

The weird thing is, while I never knew him personally his death seems unusually sad to me. I guess, his music touched my heart.

3. Heard mid-day today. Huge influence on guitar, will be missed by players everywhere.