1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about John Williams 2 hand reduction

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Andrew McAfee, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Hi all! I've been modifying my transcription process to:
    Day 1 - Try to get what the composer played at the piano
    Day 2 - Try to get the "overdubs" that were added to the sketch after the fact
    Day 3 - Orchestrate it on my own
    Day 4 - Check the score

I wanted to check with some of the more experienced pianists/composers here to see if I'm roughly on track with what John Williams would have played at the piano to get the horizontal structure. I've included two videos, one of Day 1's part and one of Day 2's part.

Thank you in advance!

Jay Polk and Mike Worth like this.
  2. Disclaimer: I understand the importance of playing it myself rather than letting Sibelius play it for me. I just have to play it painfully slow and didn't want to subject any of you to that =)

3. I'll try to look at this in more detail when I'm by a piano, but this appears to certainly be the spirit of the exercise and it's a great exercise to do.

As for what *actual* John Williams would *actually* play, it's really going to be more of a shorthand. Like he's not going to be literally banging out eighth-notes chords. There's no reason for that; he knows what he means, but that doesn't matter. This is a great way to start I'll look at it a little later. Not a 100% sure of your transcription there.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  4. #4 Andrew McAfee, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Awesome, thank you Mike!
    I'm not 100% sure of my transcription either. I'm orchestrating it today, and will check the score tomorrow to find all of my mistakes.

Also, thank you for inspiring me to do exercises like this!

5. Wonderful job on this Andrew. This is my favorites John Williams piece. A very challenging piece to take on. I'd love to hear your final version. I have the conductors score if you need it.

6. Thank you Jay! I'm definitely a bit embarrassed to post this here after I've discovered all of my mistakes, but we have to put ourselves out there right?! You can enjoy all of the red marks and notes to myself from when I checked the score.

Also here's my texture cheat sheet from after the score study portion!

Attached Files:

Jay Polk likes this.
  7. This was great work Andrew. This is such a difficult piece and to attempt it is very brave. I agree. We have to put our work out there and be able to deal with criticism. It will only improve your work. You've done some inspiring work here. Keep it up.

Andrew McAfee likes this.