1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Pride and Pompous

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Henri Vartio, May 9, 2020.

1. #1 Henri Vartio, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Heya all.

Usually I tend to dazzle people with mockup prowess but that's felt slightly boring and unnecessarily complicated lately so decided this time, to spend some time getting used to staring at the dots and lines and whatnot.. So I present you guys with a a note performer rendition and a score. Feel free to stomp on it and rip me a new bunghole and point out how to make it better. Writing things out on score seems like a nice welcome change of pace after years of noodling on midi bits and bobs and I feel rusty and out of place doing it. I love it.

Ok, so down to business... This ones a short presentation of a regal theme I probably stole from Silvestri with silly fanfares and all that fun stuff.

Here's the score:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rt2pf5joj31pvy/Pride and Pompous.pdf?dl=0

Here's the audio:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/luv6303ycw2g0ii/Pride and Pompous NP.mp3?dl=0

Have at it!
    Mostly looking for notes in the orcehstration/arranging/balance for it. Also if theres something unplayable/unnessessarily tricky in there, practical matters and so on.

-h

2. Hey Henri,

I really like your music! I'm not at all qualified to give you feedback though, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed this piece and appreciate the fact that you provided a score :)

-F

3. Hello Henri,
    I really like your overall theme and the orchestration of each part sounds great.
    However, I don't follow how a theme progresses through your piece.

For instance the first 8 bars is super fantastic, but you never return to it. I would love for you to somehow come back to that with interesting variations and modulate and expand tastefully from that.

As a listener, I just didn't feel satisfied as a whole, even though each section sounded very nice standing alone, they didn't harmonically connect for me.
    -
    Dick

4. It would be nice to hear a mockup version for comparison ;) (I think Note Performer is great, but not very enjoyable to listen to over a long time.)

I really like the theme and I feel the piece is well developed. It's fun to listen to. Although, I think at the beginning, it starts to develop too quickly. E.g., you could easily repeat bars 3-6 again. Really get the theme into the listener's head. Then, the rest of the piece would be even more enjoyable.