1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Piano Piece

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Michael Lückgen, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Hey guys,

I was working further on creating simple tunes, which try to develop over the course of the song.
    I programmed it in and kept everything on the piano.

I am really curious what you think and if I'm on the right track here, or am I missing some basics here?

Let me know :)

Bjarke Tan likes this.
  2. Hey very nice work.
    Some things I notice is that you might use too many chords. It works but it could be much more interesting if you added maybe some counterpoint in it as well.
    It also stays in the same dynamics which might get a bit boring. It might be good with some contrast in dynamics.

Somethings I notice you did really well:
    1:You where really good at creating a good pattern.
    2: It felt like everything was connected and easy to follow.
    I have a lot of trouble with this one my self so you did really good here.

Overall really good work.

Michael Lückgen likes this.
  3. Thank you for your compliments and great advice!

Hm I know what you mean. Maybe because I'm not a very good piano player I have difficulties of thinking in terms of countermelodies when composing on piano.

But now I've added some simple counterpoint to the piece. Do you find it more interesting now?

As for the dynamics: I just programmend the whole thing in instead of playing it, so everything is basically the same dynamic. But I plan to orchestrate it, so it will become more dynamic in the end :)

I think the key for the easy to follow pattern in this piece was that I repeat short rhythmic motifs of the A section in the B and C sections. That way it basically is the same, and everything feels connected.
    At least I think that this migth be the reason.

Bjarke Tan likes this.
  4. I think your piece is really great but it doesn't sound like there is a lot of counterpoint in there. I think you added a little here and there but more of the piece could have been counterpoint I think.
    counterpoint is supposed to be more independent melodies played at the same time but what you have sounds mostly chords + melodies.
    I hope I am not being harsh I am just trying to get my point across :)
    I recommend to look at some Bach pieces he should get you a good reference for counterpoint if you haven't already. You can find his scores for free on imslp.org
    There is also this free lessons on youtube if you are interested in learning more about counterpoint :)

And I also recommend Mike Vertas masterclass on it of course!
    https://mikeverta.com/product/online-masterclass-counterpoint-1/
    It's great to see you taking action on the feedback!

5. No not at all! I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks for the video! I'll look into it!

Bjarke Tan likes this.
  6. I tried to orchestrate the whole piece. Would love to hear some feedback. I know I'm struggling with something, but I don't know how I can improve really...

Hope anyone can help me get better :)

7. Sounds lovely.
    It felt like near the end of the piece it was going in a different direction than it started. It might help with a sense of familiarity to make it feel connected.
    but take it when a grain of salt when I say it as I am still learning my self.
    Since it was written for orchestra I felt like you could have used more instruments if it was for large orchestra otherwise it was fine if it was for small orchestra.
    I still felt like what I said before counts so I don't wanna repeat my self.
    I really liked the strings at the beginning of the piece. Full of emotions.
    Overall you did really well.
    Keep up the good work :)

8. Thank you for your feedback!

I felt like I was already using too many instruments :D

Yeah I will try to write more with individual voices in mind on my next piece and will try to get away from thinking in chords/block chords.
    But since I was already very commited to this piano sketch I decided to just orchestrate it and get onto the next one.

Thank you for your good advice and warm words :)

Bjarke Tan likes this.