1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Performance Samples - Caspian

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hur Ozan Cerrahoglu, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Hi there,

This weekend I invested in Performance Samples Caspian and Fluid Shorts because there was a good discount.
    (Not sure if discount continues.)

I was messing around with Battle Brass sounds and saw Caspian reviews and decided to invest in it...
    You really got to check this one out... Alike in Adventure Brass, you get single samples for each instrument sets 6-horns, 3-trumpets and 3-trombones.

In my personal taste they are very very playable and they really filling the mix up...

Fluid shorts is a string library which I couldn't use them very well yet but Caspian one, I recommend it should be kept in the inventory.

Best,

2. Got this library a couple of weeks ago. It kicks serious ass. The sound is tight. The playability is nearly spot on. No frills. Love it.

Matthias Calis likes this.
  3. Yup, it's a great lib. I love the no frills approach a LOT. PF is a little too expensive for my tastes most of the time, but Caspian and Oceania seem to me well worth the price of entry (note, I don't have the latter just yet).

I'm less impressed by the fluid shorts, just from hearing the demos. Con Moto seems fine but its use seems a little too narrow for me. If PF could do with strings what they did with brass (having shorts/longs in a single patch), I'd be all over it, but it might well be impossible to do something like that in a satisfactory way.

4. I think @Aaron Venture is working on doing exactly that with Infinite Strings.

I've bought FS1 to replace/augment the shorts in MetArk1 and I like them more than the shorts in the Ark, but I'm not sold on the idea of frankensteining together a template from so many different libs being the right approach for me personally. I hope in a couple of years I can say I'm just using cinematic studio series (or a similarly consistent collection) for everything and have that cover all my articulation/workflow needs and solve the rest with mixing chops.

If anyone has specific questions on fluid shorts 1, let me know.

5. I got the brass during the release as a NFR to test for certain behaviors / bugs. I actually think it does one thing great and that is fanfare action writing. Also, if you want that top buzz FF layer, the horns really can kick some ass. Bass bones are on the good side too. Trumpets are sometimes a thing, I prefer here somehow the adventure trumpets more. The only real downside is that its missing a tuba. Not sure though, heard that there is pro Version coming.

But in general Performance Samples makes cool things. I bought Fluid Shorts,for layering quite useful. The Double Bass have a lot of oompf and grit. Also bought the choir: One thing trick pony, but does it excellent.

So in the end: When you exactly know where to search and you need very specific performance those libs can do the job quick and effective.

6. I love it, really useful when writing for trailers