1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Nier:Automata Style JRPG/Anime Battle Theme Loop

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Marko Dvojkovic, Sep 1, 2023.

1. Hey guys!
    Here is a video game/anime battle theme loop I made inspired by android chick in skimpy maid clothes slashing robots with a katana, I mean inspired by a japanese video game :D.
    I hope that I got all the tropes, in the music I mean.

Any feedback welcome, cheers!

2. I'm not really familiar with Nier:Automata but I listened to a few tracks and you seem to hit the style pretty good. I actually like your song better than what I heard from the original :D

3. Wow, that is a comment I was kind of secretly wishing for :rolleyes: hah. Thanks I am really glad. My favorite tracks from the soundtrack are Amusement Park, City Ruins, Wretched Weaponry and Bipolar Nightmare has a nice B section. I like a lot of japanese composers and there is almost always at least some good stuff to be found, but again I often feel that there is also a little more to be desired for it to be really exceptional, that extra nerve needed to stand out.

4. I feel like you can improve a little your B section by dropping all the percussion to create more contrast, so when the main theme comes back it's more intense, like here:

5. Hey Carlos, thanks for your suggestion! I considered something like that but it seemed too drastic, I felt like I have to keep the sixteenth "motor" at all times in some way, so I went for making the beat half time for contrast. It may be my personal bias with action music as I am not a complete fan of completely dropping it even in the example you linked. Maybe something in between what I did and dropping it completely could be more effective.