1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Music Stock Libraries for dummies

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by JP Beveraggi, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Good morning all,

Before getting involved with music to stock libraries, I thought (probably very naively) that the process would be to submit some tracks for review, get feedback, rework, resubmit, thereby developing a relationship while learning the tricks of the trade. However, my experience so far (after signing up to one which shall remain nameless) has been nowhere close. The delays for reviews are literally weeks which hints that the way to approach the process is more to take shots-in-the-dark and hope for the best rather than trying to work on delivering products in demand. What is the right way to look at it in your experience?

Thanks

2. I would say: Find somebody else.

JP Beveraggi likes this.
  3. There's so many publishers out there you shouldn't waste your time waiting on one. There are people around who will be happy to provide feedback and sort of build a relationship like you described, but in my experience those have been producers and music supervisors. Not libraries. Just my 0.02

4. My guess is OP is talking about royalty-free websites; try finding some exclusive music libraries instead, and not non-exclusive.

JP Beveraggi likes this.
  5. Thank you all for your help. Yes, gave a go at non-exclusive libraries but it all seems a waste of time. I conclude that making a portfolio of tune with a signature sound and looking into exclusive deals is the way to go.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  6. I think that's a positive contribution to the craft, overall. We certainly don't need more "ukulele and claps" songs.

Martin Hoffmann likes this.
  7. Let me rephrase because I think what I wanted to say may have come out wrong. There is no doubt in my mind that making attractive general stock music is a craft in its own right. I see it as a very focused approach to music making and those who excel at it surely spent much time and effort experimenting and adjusting to the demand. But personally, I do not find it attractive because I like to be told when my track is too poor so I can work on making the next one pass the mark.

To your point about ukulele tunes, mastering an unusual instrument could be a great way to stand out from the crowd without much effort. Maybe I should ditch a guitar for a hurdy gurdy or an accordion... if only I could play them ;)

8. I think it depends entirely on the motivation for making library music, and the criteria by which ideas are evaluated, like with most aspects of music, but that's another topic.

I'd love to hear more hurdy gurdy in commercials :D! And certainly playing a ukulele in a more interesting manner would be perfectly valid. But there really is no shortage of "ukulele and clap" commercials.