1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Lyle Mays, Eberhard. Winner Best Instrumental Composition 2022

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Dick Wallingford, Sep 29, 2022.

1. How could this not win this year's Grammy (posthumously)? Hauntingly beautiful masterpiece!

A massive thank you to his Niece, Aubrey Johnson, for putting this out to the public. She is also the featured vocalist on the piece as well as producer.

Fitting that he book ended his career with two Grammy nominations. The first was the North Texas State '75 Lab band as arranger (1976). If you listen to nothing else in the recording, check out the arrangement of What Was (Chick Corea) at around 16:00. Lyle demonstrates the Jazz monster within that he somehow kept below the radar.

Stephen Limbaugh likes this.
  2. Thoroughly enjoyed the Eberhard track -- and I don't normally care for this type of music. Fascinating he was able to incorporate the harmonic language of Max Richter fuse it with jazz.

Dick Wallingford likes this.