1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Kontakt Routing Tutorial

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Bradley Boone, Mar 3, 2019.

1. #1 Bradley Boone, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    So, I've been seeing a lot of the same questions popping up on related forums about Kontakt routing. Anyone mind critiquing this tutorial I whipped up? No audio (yet), but I'll throw something on there before it goes live. The video is currently unlisted on YouTube, so you'd need the link to access it.

I'd also like to hear if any of you have alternative or additional tips to throw in there.

Aaron Venture and Dillon DeRosa like this.
  2. Nice. There are also batch functions that can help you get there quick if you just want each patch on a different output.

Also, if you change the output configuration after you've loaded in the instruments, you don't have to reload them to have the new setup available for per-mic routing, only re-initialize them (the big exclamation mark in the top right corner.

Here's why, if you wanna know. KSP has different callbacks. And when you load an instrument the first time, the code in the "on init" callback gets executed. The option to route a single mic to different outputs is a menu, and as a UI element it has to be declared and have its elements added to it in the "on init" callback, and that code usually goes something like

Code:
    add_menu_item($route_mic ,"Default",-1)  
    $i := 0
    while($i < $NUM_OUTPUT_CHANNELS)  
           add_menu_item($route_mic, output_channel_name($i), $i)      
           inc($i)
     end while
    So on initialization, the script pulls the current mic configuration and creates menu entries accordingly. You just have to re-trigger the "on init" callback in order to have it execute again. So if you already have a big multi or a selection of patches loaded in, reinitializing them will solve this output menu issue.

3. #3 Bradley Boone, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    @Aaron Venture thanks for the critique. I'll edit that section of the video (to include the re-initialization instead of reloading the instrument). As far as batch output, I can add that as well, but I seldom use it myself. I get if you're loading say Picc, Flute 1, & Flute 2 patches that you can batch output to separate stereo outs, and have the outs named for the instruments, but I like going deeper into shorts/longs or separate mics (CTA, etc.). Batch is certainly speedier if you're going for quick setup.

If you know a more detailed way to get short/long, or short/long x mic positions outputs (other than saving as a multi with output presets or the like), then please let me know. Personally, once I have this setup in VEPro, I seldom think of this stuff. I'm thinking of doing something similar with PLAY, but that seems more straight forward. Again, I appreciate you taking a couple of minutes to look through the clip.

4. I mean, that's really all there is to it. You decide on an output configuration that you want and set it up that way. I personally have track templates for libraries (Reaper) which are groups of configured stuff, like patches that I like/need, layerings, CC remappings and curves, output configurations and some processing on these outputs. So I have all of these blocks of track templates and it's pretty easy for me to create a template as I'm just pulling in different track templates.

But if it's not an orchestral project or I just want to have a few patches out real quick, I'll load them all in and then use the batch function.