1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Just released a progressive metal album

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Francesco Bortolussi, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Hey guys! Here's a change of pace compared to other pieces posted here!

Maybe you all don't know that 4-5 years ago, before getting into all this film/orchestral music stuff, I used to be part of a progressive metal band. In 2017, we finished writing and recording our debut album, and it took us 3 years to finally release it to the public!

My role in the band was dealing with synthesizers, keyboards, and general sound design. It was incredibly fun for me learning about sound design when growing up playing with the other guys, and it was very interesting to learn what my role was in the band, caught up battling in the eternal war of the "keyboards against the guitars in the mix".

Now, these songs are somewhat "old" and full of flaws - sometimes you can hear that we didn't know any better at the time. You could also make a point about the problems in the structure of the pieces :D what didn't also help was that the writing was mostly done "as a band", which makes for a situation where there are too many cooks in the kitchen. However, I can't say I didn't enjoy making this record, and it holds a very special place in my heart! There are some good ideas in it, and it was so much fun recording it :)

So here it is, "Personæ" - Black Painted Moon

Here's the link:

And for those of you that don't have Spotify, the tracks are also on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9fv_ABtczwR2y99AqXjq8UuZCNwzm3t_

Raymond William likes this.
  2. Only listened to the previews so far but I'm going to need to give this a solid listen! Some fresh ideas in there.

As an aside, I find it really interesting how many people from the metal/progressive world end up wanting to do orchestral stuff. The similarities are striking.
    For all the talk about structure in regards to orchestral music, some of my favourite pieces in the metal vein feel experimental and perhaps don't have the soundest structure, but who cares? No sense getting academic about it. Did it achieve the effect on the listener that it wanted to?