1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

International Film Music Competition 2019 - My Submission

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Andreas Trösch, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Hi redbanners

This is my score for the short film "Danny and the wild bunch" by Robert Rugan. There were over 320 entries and the level was high!

Even though I didn't make it into the finals, I'm pretty happy with my composition. What about you guys? What are your thoughts and feelings while watching this short film with my music?

Your feedback is much appreciated :)

Paul T McGraw and John Eldridge like this.
  2. I listened to this without video at first. I felt like the beginning was too busy and fought with the dialog. The ending didn’t make much sense to me either. But, I really enjoyed everything in between. I thought the transitions into and out of silence were really effective, they got me interested in what comes next. I felt like I got a good sense of the emotions developing.

Then I watched the video. Same thing, beginning felt busy and fighting dialog. But after that, I think the music really served the story. I loved the transformation part, and shouted “holy shit!” when they did a closeup on him smoking. The fight scene was pretty cool. The ending credits felt disconnected to me still, but had a bit more of a check-out-the-full-film trailer vibe if that makes sense.

I think it would be even more effective if you got straight to the point with something memorable in the intro, and then backed way off during the dialog. The film presents an interesting idea, and it’s hard to follow along when the music is so active. Then I think if the ending is sort of a dark version of your intro, it wraps up nicely.

Lastly, while the fight scene is the action peak, I think the very end where they control her typing with strings is the dramatic peak. So, it felt like a bit of a disconnect to me – either the music climaxed too early or was too on the nose with the fight or something. Not that the final scene has to be more intense, but rather that the fight scene music should really be leading us to what comes next. Because getting captured by evil cartoons is pretty dramatic, but what are they gonna do with her is the real question with a dramatic answer. The picture already delivers the drama of capturing her, so where the music can be really effective is in reinforcing the more subtle but important question of what do they do once they capture her.

I think that’s why I thought the transformation scene was so effective. She’s scratching out words and writing new ones in, and we don’t know what’s going to happen. The music really plays on the uncertainty, tells us we’re leaving this happy-go-lucky land but doesn’t tell us exactly where we’re going. And if I remember right, in the beginning she says kids books need to be more cynical, and then holy shit it gets real dark real quick.

Another way of looking at the fight scene and ending is, you could replace the fight with some other way of capturing her – set a trap, tie her up in her sleep, whatever. But if you don’t have the final typing scene, it’s a totally different story. So the point of this film is not the fight and capture, its what happens once she’s captured, and I felt like the music made it seem like the fight was the point, when it’s not.

My two cents.

3. Awesome work! You should definitely be proud of this. I would love to hear the music of the five finalists.

Andreas Trösch likes this.
  4. @Pat Maddox thank you very much for your detailed feedback!

@Paul T McGraw thank you. I'm also curious how the finalist scored this movie.