1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Indiana Jones - The Mine Car Chase (Ear Transcription)

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Benjamin Maisonet, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Hello everyone

I haven't been here in a while, and this seemed like the perfect place to have my John Williams mockup and transcription ripped to shreds. I know there's a few glaring mistakes, which I may go back and fix later. I would be interested to know your feedback on the transcription and the mockup. I had a difficult time getting some of the wind runs not to sound synthy.

This is from Temple of Doom. One of my favorite tracks, and I challenged myself to transcribe it.

2. Hej Benjamin,

I thought to give a try commenting here..it´s been a while.

Well that piece was quite a lot of work mocking up and kudos to you for that understaking. I think you did a nice job here both with your rendition but also transcribing it by ear. Other than that not to start going into details and nitpicking on some wrong scales or missing chord tones or scales, whatsoever, I would say if you want more confirmation where you were close or not that close, simply go and get the score and look everything up. That would cement the learned things from doing this. In general the idea behind doing such things I find absolutely great because you learn a lot about structure, motivic development, recapitulation, harmonic language and many many more things. I think though that piece is for a starting point not the easiest one to grab, though it never hurts to challenge yourself and I think you done really good here.

As A side note: While I think that the movie is the weakest of the old 3 movies, the score is definitely great and the car chase tune in particular as it is probably the perfect example of how williams is doing his frenetic action writing borderlined chaos at times but still with control.

Apart from that I have nothing else useful to say at that point and would just end my comment with: Keep on doing what you love.

Alex

Benjamin Maisonet likes this.
  3. Haha. Thanks. We literally agree on every point. There are definitely places I have nitpicked myself but I have opted instead to move on to transcribing something else rather than trying to nitpick and fix this one.

4. I would love to find a score to this, but I fear it's probably locked away in a big facility somewhere being examined by top men.

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  5. HA! Yes, locked away and being examined by top men! Marvelous!

I loved your mock-up. It sounded great and very close to the original. Thanks for sharing this!

What libraries are you using for this?

6. Thank you so much, Paul! I'm glad you got the joke. I love those old school films, ever since I was a young lad.