1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

How should I watch the masterclasses, to get the most out of them?

Discussion in 'Info, Requests, etc.' started by Sean Getchius, Jul 6, 2019.

1. I've played classical piano for years and am good at reading black dots, but I was missing out never learning how analyze or learning how to create something of my own: it reminds me of foreign language classes I've taken that only teach one to translate a page of text, but doesn't leave one with the ability to have a conversation.

I feel a bit colorblind when it comes to creating my own music: I can make some nice sounding improv, but usually not anything that really gives me a "wow!" feeling, or anything that's super cohesive (I have many files of cool chords and motifs I've stumbled across and didn't want to forget). If I just sit passively and watch hours of video, I tend to zone out. How should I watch these videos, so I get the most out of them?

Are there any videos that I should absolutely watch first?

2. Composition 1.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  3. Hi @Sean Getchius and welcome to the forum. As you know, there are many different ways to learn a new skill. With Mike's videos, you will for sure want to have a notebook at hand and take notes during the video. It is also a good idea to stop the video when something really interests you and try out those things Mike demonstrates on your own keyboard, You might even want to notate some of these things if you best relate to notation. As you point out, each video is several hours in length so, in my opinion, it is not wise to just sit passively for the entire video. Taking notes, and trying out a few things for yourself, will help you to internalize the information.

As aspiring composers, we are very lucky to live at a time when there are so many sources of information available because of the internet. Of course, the downside of that is that there are so many composers out there competing for an audience. It is very possible to learn to compose on your own. I am still learning new things all the time, but I feel as if I have come a long way in the past 10 years or so. Don't give up, and if you keep working at it, you will succeed.

4. Comp 1. It's basic, but those basics are so, so essential. Basic isn't a four letter word, after all.

In terms of how -- since the classes are long and jam-packed, I would vote for going through at one's keyboard (piano) and writing down broad concepts you come across (or invaluable ideas) in your own words, by pausing the video, thinking about what was said and how to apply it, and then writing it down. Then actually play these things and work them out on your own.

It can be tempting to just sit down and watch, but it's really not an effective way to learn unless you're willing to watch it a number of times and stew on the concepts while trying to apply them later.