1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Here's an 80s thing I made

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Tom Welsh, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Actually this is one of many 80s things I've made but this one I finished recently as a cinematic tribute to Miami Vice (no surprises). I thought I'd share it since Mike's just done the 80s masterclass and it includes a number of the tropes that Mike mentions (production, instrumentation, harmony). What isn't so 80s is the structure which I admit is more freeform (hence rhapsody in the name) but does that make the piece confusing to listen to or is everyone on board with it...?

See what you think:

2. Well I mean...

3. Wow thank you for taking the time to listen and respond, Mike!

I agree with tempo being slightly too slow (for some reason that often happens) and the melody definitely sounds not as stiff with your version. I think by having the melody phrases end on the beat with less syncopation sounds more theatrical / camp which I like but it does sound less 80s..especially compared to your mock up. I think things sound more familiar in the 'B' / 2nd theme section?

Thanks again.

4. I would say that independent of the eighties nature of it keeping your melody engaging would be the thing to focus on. It wasn't its lack of 80s quality that drew my attention to it, it was that it was sort of plodding and incomplete from a phrase standpoint.

5. #5 Tom Welsh, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    OK well since last week I've made another 80s thing :

It's an attempt at writing better melodies as per above advice. I've made it more uptempo and gone for a simple A and B section using some of the 'sitcom' style chord progressions you demonstrated in the so 80s masterclass...
    It would have only taken a few hours rather than days if it wasn't for the fact I got caught up on the production as per usual - it's a habbit I'm trying to get out of.