1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with virtual mixing

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Thomas Bryla, Apr 17, 2020.

1. I've been doing more sample based music lately at the same time as switching to Cubase. I jumped on Sample Modeling and MIR as well as other things that are new to me, and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it all.

Basically I try to use tree/stage mics where possible and where it sounds good and using MIR Pro for simple stage positioning of say The Trumpet or any VSL.

I have a hard time placing the horn melody that comes in at 0:17. I used CineBrass Sonore and Sample Modeling on that. In this version the Sonore is placed slightly to the left with Panpot sample delay while SM is routed through MIR.

Do you have any suggestions of what I can do in this regard? Also any other suggestions for the MIDI programming / mixing aspect?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nch3cebtxqryeax/TSB_Bryla.wav?dl=0

Thanks in advance!

2. I hear no issues with the programming, you (obviously) have a good ear for phrasing.

Try pushing it a bit further into the room. Add in more reverb or move it back (if that's how MIR works). Also, try adding a delay tap for the horns, and set it to 15ms delay (no feedback) and panned all the way right. Then start lowering the volume for that tap and stop when you have a satisfying stereo image.

Not sure what your options in Cubase are for that or what other delays on the market do/look like, I just use ReaDelay so I'm speaking in that context. To summarize, you want to have your sound of the horns as it is, and along with it you want to have a delayed reproduction of that sound (without repeating/feedback), except panned all the way to the right and lower in volume. ReaDelay lets you do taps and set up many of them and adjust parameters for each one. Other plugins might have you dial in a global 15ms delay, pan it all the way to the left and then dial in the mix knob. The pan setting here is very important because it will fill in the hole on the right side of your horn stereo image.

If you can't do it via delay plugins, simply sending your horn track to another track, and then setting the signal delay for that track to 15ms, pan all the way to the right and adjusting the volume should do the job as well. Pick whichever one suits you best.

The mutes toward the end sound very harsh, almost distorted. Try taming the 5-6 kHz region there. If you want to still pop out that way, try setting up multiband compression/dynamic EQ on that region instead.

3. Thanks for the feedback, Aaron!
    This is essentially what Panpot does all in a plugin. It’s set to about 5ms though so I might need to tinker with that as well as the ERs. I always struggle to place horns this way and I’ll look into the harshness on the mutes. Thanks for pointing that out!

Aaron Venture likes this.