1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Birthday

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Jure Jerebic, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Hi,

You know what this is. Feedback?

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  2. Great stuff, man!

A couple comments...

Around the start of the second phrase, I get some weirdness with the timings of the background parts. I wonder if it's some moving line that isn't coming through completely. I think any contrasting parts you have in it can definitely come up.

it's a nice little AABA. Maybe do some melodic variation in the A sections, since this is a song that everyone knows exceedingly well, I don't know that it's necessary to do three full statements of the theme with no melodic variation. There are some good harmonic variations going on behind it every once in a while, but it bogs down because it's so familiar.

Your big brass part at the end... some sample issues sounding MIDI, but beyond that balance-wise, the whole brass part is getting overshadowed by the string parts. That's not something that would happen in a real orchestra, so maybe think about bringing the brass up so it has a little more dynamic range overall.

Really good stuff though! I like the vibe at the beginning, lots of good orchestration happening.