1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Film Database for Releases?

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Rohann van Rensburg, Feb 17, 2019.

1. #1 Rohann van Rensburg, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a site that catalogues the various editions of films released. I'm frustrated by the sullying of good films with an insistence on mass appeal in one form or another. Take Bladerunner, for example -- the theatrical version contains a bunch of needless exposition and added scenes that ensure you don't have to work out the plot for yourself, and the "final cut" grades everything with the signature Hollywood "orange and teal" look and includes more graphic violence, for some reason. The director's cut would be the one to go with if one is interested in staying faithful to the original intent.

It's not always so obvious, however -- as Mike has shown in videos, the Blu-Ray re-releases of certain films (like Star Wars) feature blind editors that colour the footage for what I assume would be "mass appeal" (why blown out pinks are in vogue is another story).

In any case, I'm interested in avoiding this, particularly for very deliberately designed films (Wes Anderson). Is there anywhere that keeps track of changes like this?

2. PS -- If anyone is interested in a color correction of the Fellowship of the Ring Blu-Ray (terrible green cast, for some reason), PM me. Obviously expected that one owns the Blu-Ray already.