1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Farewell Friend

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Gregory D. Moore, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Not sure where to post this. Feel free to move to the most appropriate spot.

We lost a dear friend and forum contributor. I hadn't heard from Paul for a while now so today I checked on his FB page and just read the following message his wife posted on Feb 19th.

Carol McGraw
    February 19 at 8:04 AM ·
    I have sad news about my husband Paul McGraw. Paul passed away at home on Saturday night. As you may know, he has been very ill for the past year, especially since October, due to congestive heart failure, multiple myeloma, COPD, diabetes, and degenerative spine and discs conditions. The last few months of his life he was in ever-increasing pain.
    He was ready to go home to Heaven, so we family members who survive here on Earth must remember that he is there in peace with no pain and no failing body.
    Paul had many talents. He especially enjoyed composing orchestral music via computer programs. It would be a wonderful tribute to his memory if you would listen to some of his compositions on his YouTube channel. (Just search for Paul McGraw.)
    I've added a few pictures from happier times. ❤️

86483859_3315183391844968_8435116689019895808_o.jpg

2. That is so incredibly sad. Paul was not only a really talented composer, but also an incredibly humble and kind person. Even though the only contact I've had with him was through some messages and replies on this forum, I'll never forget how generous he was whenever he commented on the music I wrote, and how helpful and kind he was to the everyone else here. He will be missed.

Marcel Schweder likes this.
  3. Thank you Gregory for letting us all know. He'll be remembered.

We emailed each other regularly and I know (he was a person of deep religious faith) that he felt ready to "go home to heaven".

Poor guy was in a lot of pain.

R.I.P my friend

Thanks again Gregory for letting us know

4. Paul had skills, too. He'll be missed.

5. Yeah, I met Paul through Guy Bacos (and this forum) as Paul was one of Guy's Patreons and I'd been a friend of Guy's and knew some things about VSL samples and mixing so we started e-mailing each other. Yet, in real life we couldn't be more different as people in terms of our values and beliefs. Both Paul and I realized this, and chose instead to discuss and share about our common musical interests which led to a great many interesting exchanges as some collaborations discussing analysis of various pieces we were both interested in learning about (Dvorak Sym IX, mv4) as well as discussing Paul's compositions, orchestrations, and mixing-in-progress. In real life, our friends tend to be people that are similar to us in many ways. Yet, the internet allowed two completely different people to develop a friendship based upon one common interest. I think we both had a lot of fun, and Paul kept pushing me to get back into composing again as life has pulled me away.

What I found inspiring about Paul was that despite his handicap as an old guy (well, I am too, Paul was just a few years older) who wasn't confident about his hearing, he was able to do these fairly intricate mockups to learn from with pretty good success. And at the same time, he is one of the few who has overcome dealing with samples and computers to the point where he could focus on composing some larger form pieces (something many of us aspire do but never seem to be able to tackle). I assured him that despite his hearing concerns, he was doing quite a good job of mixing (aside from the occassional overloud triangle or such) He never asked a computer or technical question as he seemed to have this base covered. So it was great to talk about music instead of technical babble about computers and samples. And as I do, Paul also found inspiration from the many composers of yester-year around the turn of the 20th century. He was also curious about more modern composition techniques too which we discussed about though which he tended to shy away from in his compositions yet still wanted to know more about (I think that's why he was analyzing Wagner's Tannhauser). Paul's curiosity was always interesting, and led me to discover many new things on my own through our discussions. Its great that the internet (and this forum - thanks Mike) allowed us complete strangers, living in distant worlds from each other, to meet and enjoy sharing a single common interest. I'll miss the old codger!

Doug Gibson and Marcel Schweder like this.
  6. I didn't really know Paul except for the occasional message on this forum. He seemed like a very kind person and a talented composer and I'm indeed very sad to know he's passed away.

7. Oh no. That is sad. ;-(
    But I hope he's in a better place now, without pain.
    R.I.P Paul.
    I espacially liked his "Summer Symphony Movement IV" and the "Tennessee River Portrait".

8. Thank you for sharing this, Gregory. The thing that struck me most about Paul was his relentless encouragement of others. I personally found him to be a role model in that regard and he'll be missed.

9. Really sad to hear this. I had a couple of exchanges with him and I thought he was very generous with his time and insights. I am also saddened to know that he was in a lot of pain. May he rest in peace.

10. That is incredibly sad to hear. I really enjoyed the conversations I had with Paul on the forums and in private. He was an incredible composer and a kind and thoughtful person.

Rest in peace Paul.

11. Thanks for sharing, Greg. I've had the pleasure of working with Paul on his Tennessee River Portrait piece two years ago, as well as on a couple of other occasions. He also offered detailed and constructive feedback on my pieces and we spoke a lot about melodies and melodic structure. I always remember the stuff we talked about when I'm writing (which is not very often these days).

He was a skilled composer and a very kind and humble person. May he rest in peace.

12. Hi, thanks for sharing that though it is some saddening news.:(

I valued Paul a lot not only for his contributions here on the forum but also for his encouraging attitude. I didn´t know him that good though I can say from my personal interactions through here and personal messages that he was always a very nice person and shared many good things. And yes I noticed that he had major health issues and hoped that he make it. May he rest in peace. He will be definitely missed here.

Doug Gibson likes this.
  13. I am at a loss for words. I've only had a few interactions with Paul, but all of them were very pleasant and he was always so relentlessly supportive! He has helped me, and I believe many others, in many ways and I'm deeply saddened we will not hear from him again. God bless, Paul.

Doug Gibson likes this.
  14. In the last few years I've been writing about 1 or 2 post a year and this is my first post on resbanned, but I couldn't pass the opportunity to join the tribute to a dear friend. I admired so much Paul's love for music and composing, there was no limit for the type of musical projects he challenged himself. Occasionally I'd give him some constructive feedback, but was always impressed with the composition ideas he'd come up with and turned it into a symphony. He really did it for the love of music, not for the applause or the praise. My email conversations with Paul were always pleasant, he was most encouraging and despite his illness, he never gave up on life. I'll really miss him! Rest in peace my friend.

15. I for one hope you stick around and share some of your wonderful compositions with us here.

Consider me a fan of yours.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  16. Sad news. Paul always projected a positive outlook and a kind nature. He will be missed.

17. I didn't interact with Paul much, but I followed him and his work on this forum and he was a true inspiration! He will be missed. I was wondering -- is anyone in contact with his family? I think they'd like to read this thread.

18. What a blow. I'm at a loss as well, he will be sorely missed. Paul was not only skilled and helpful, he was also wonderfully encouraging and a real light on this forum. I enjoyed my conversations with him both on the forum and in private messaging and I wish I had them more frequently. I didn't realize how much pain he was in and I'm happy he's now at peace and with God.

Alexander Schiborr likes this.
  19. I'm very sad to hear that he passed away. He was very kind, supportive and a very skilled composer. I'll miss him here. It was very inspiring to see him still work on his own music, even as he faced such difficult times. My condolences to his friends and family.

Alexander Schiborr likes this.
  20. I have just heard to sad news about Paul's passing.

All I can say is that not only was he a talented composer, but in our few conversations he was unfailingly polite, generous and encouraging, and our little world will be all the poorer for his loss. In all his postings he seemed to focus on the positive, and I am so sad to hear of his recent medical struggles.

I hope his family know how well he was regarded.