1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantasy Composition

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Marko Dvojkovic, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Hi guys! I'm new here, very excited and frightened haha xD.
    I have never used a forum as a member so this interface is a little confusing, hopefully I will get used to it xD.

Here's my recent composition. I have balanced and mixed my template by following the Template Balancing masterclass, helped me a lot, I needed to readjust only woodwinds, but everything else is "out of the box" from the template so I'm really looking forward to really tweak it after some transcribing and checking scores this summer to hopefully bypass the production part for at least some pieces.
    So this piece was challenging orchestrationaly to me, I was more or less sure about the palette of instruments that I will use but it was hard for me to decide especially for the first time when theme comes at 0:30 how to orchestrate it. The reprise at the "finale" felt smooth and I'm pretty happy with that. But I doubted sometimes is the change of instrumentation too abrupt? And I noticed in another orchestral piece that I did the same trend that I first do the part that will be the busiest regarding arrangement and then try to reduce from there to the rest of the composition. Thank you very much for feedback, best regards.

2. Hey! A bit quiet around here. Will have a listen and get back to you, for what it's worth.

Marko Dvojkovic likes this.
  3. Hi, Marko. Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your piece with us. I think being "excited and frightened" yet willing to post and receive feedback is a great combination for growth.

Right from the start you make a very clear anchor with your rhythm and set a pretty clear vibe. Kudos for that.

The shape of the melody though was constantly shifting and made it a bit harder to follow. The general shape (up/down arc) of the initial statement...

upload_2019-6-21_18-8-33.png

is strong and interesting, but doesn't repeat until 35 seconds in, and even then it's already in a different key and has differences in the exact intervals such that it's making a different statement.

upload_2019-6-21_18-13-27.png

There's no reason you can't take us those places, but I found myself really wishing for some very simple, direct phrase repeats occasionally to really lock onto. For instance, I would have been perfectly happy to hear bar 1 directly repeated in bar 3.

Hope this helps.
    -John

Marko Dvojkovic likes this.
  4. Hi John, sorry for late reply I don't know why I didn't receive an e-mail for your reply.
    Thank you for listening and analysis! That's interesting to hear about the melody, there were some minor adjustments to it when I came up with the re-harmonization, to fit better, but it felt close enough to me to be perceived as same melody because the movement of it feels the same(?) I agree about repeating the whole phrase or just the first part of the phrase in bar 3 would make a lot of difference.
    Thank you those are good points that weren't my primary doubts/concerns, not directly at least, so it's quite informative :)