1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantasy Action Adventure

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Brian Ellis, May 1, 2020.

1. Hey guys, I'm trying to get into the video game music world and am practicing my chops composing for certain themes and scenarios. This scenario represents a central character, Comgan Theofilos, set in a medieval fantasy world where he is fighting for his homeland. Please let me know if I captured that essence, and any critique and feedback is welcome and appreciated.

I've attached the PDF for the score. It was composed in Sibelius, exported audio through NotePerformer. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Hey Brian,

Nice work! I was able to follow the entire piece from the first listen, which is always a good sign. What's with the fadeout at the end? Do you mean to continue or is that supposed to be where it loops back to the beginning?

One main issue I have that I would address before anything else is counterpoint—there's a huge lack of it throughout the piece. The piece, even though the themes do evolve, is mostly 2-dimensional. There's always only 2 things playing, except in a few moments (and excluding ornaments and pickup bars): your melody/motif in focus and the accompaniment/rhythm.

You've already laid all the groundwork, now you just have to add the third layer. Whether you'll keep the existing structure and add it in or rework the whole piece is up to you. Personally I like how counterpoint can take over and lead me into free ideas for B sides and developments so I remember the last time I posted a piece here and it was pointed out that I was missing some, adding it in later never felt quite organic to me like thinking about it while composing.

You can start already at the second pass of the melody. If you can upload the score without hiding the unused staves (so I can draw on it) I can better show you the obvious places for counterpoint. It would be a miniscule amount of work compared to what you've already done, but would increase the quality of the piece tremendously.

Sylvain Provenzano likes this.
  3. Thanks Aaron,

The fade out is just the ending to the piece. It can either repeat itself, or not.
    I'm interested to see your suggestions for counterpoint. I do like to include counterpoint in my pieces, not through a burdensome obligation but more as a vital and supporting character. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this piece includes plenty of counterpoint:

-the first melodic statement is supported a third below where the line is able to fill in dead air and add complementary accentuations to the main theme.
    -after the first statement by the trumpet, the English horn adds a complimentary line floating around the trumpets main statement starting at m.25
    -starting in m.59 counterpoint between the main melody in violins and the violas/clarinets makes up the character of that section.
    -m.101, with the big low brass playing the recapitulation, the violins hold on and move upwards
    -m.151 the flute plays counterpoint against the string melody
    -the end the piece is carried by counterpoint with the violins carrying the melody, the violas and clarinets playing a counterline and eventually the horns jump in and play a previous theme in contrast to all the other sections (3 melodies going on at once)

I'll post the PDF with empty staves, because I am curious of your suggestions. Thank you

Attached Files:

4. I've commented out my thoughts and ideas into the PDF. Think of them as suggestions. You don't need to listen to exactly each one, but I would urge you to at least humor me and try them out and then do the necessary corrections regarding instrument choice etc. Once you realize what I'm getting at, you'll have no trouble doing the rest of the piece.

Where I scribbled actual notes, I did not intend to write the exact pitch, it's more like a sketch/ballpark, so consider the idea of adding them there but decide the actual pitch yourself.

Again, you've already done a lot of work and compared to that so little needs to be done to take it quite a few degrees up in quality.

Attached Files:

Brian Ellis likes this.