1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Dorico 3 Review

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Doug Gibson, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Dillon DeRosa and Mauro Pantin like this.
  2. Oh man, I'm finding it harder and harder to justify not taking the plunge. I'm on Sibelius right now but that condensing feature alone could save me so much time when prepping music... And the guitar tools seem really cool, too.

3. Yeah, I know. I'll be buying it. I am a little sad TBH, as my delegation was to review the guitar features, and I have yet to even get to condensing at all myself. Two notation programs for me going forward. (for archival reasons alone I will always be with Sibelius.)

The fingering text and string numbers are fantastic. My full review of the guitar capabilities is going to be published either next week or the week after.

The notation side is great.

For tabs, I had this quote (which did not survive editorial decision) as a summary.

Ernest Hemingway once wrote: "He went to the river. The river was there.”

Dillon DeRosa likes this.
  4. I imagine as the article said that there are some kinks to iron out but all of these features would really really work for me.

If you get it before I do and don't mint checking this out, let me know how well it exports in MusicXML, since I have a few regular clients that won't go outside the Sibelius ecosystem. I would love to work everything out in Dorico with these features and still be able to provide the sib project files for them.

Doug Gibson likes this.
  5. Gotta admit Doug, I'm a bit jealous you get to play with the beta version before the rest of us! But very glad to know they choose their beta testers wisely.

Mauro, normally I'd be happy to check that out for you, but as I never use the xml feature it'd probably be the opposite of helping. :)
    (But, happy to do something for you, if you think you'd be able to give instructions detailed enough that you could be certain I didn't mistakenly mess up the experiment.)

Doug Gibson likes this.
  6. #6 Doug Gibson, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Regarding XML.
    I would wait. You can do it..... if you enjoy pain.

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.09.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.10.18 AM.png
    From the official Steinberg forum:

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.12.10 AM.png
    Oh.....I don't know about that. Dorico doesn't either. Let's just say this week has been as fun for me as last week.

However, no one in the industry has done more for me, and whom I can just stand up and shout from the mountains "This guy is a legend" than Philip Rothman. (who runs scoring-notes).I can't emphasize or repeat often enough. He really.....really..... really knows his shit. Whenever we have worked on feature films together........ I always know his scores are going be done fast, and perfect. I'm just the wingman. I'm fast....but.... that guy is fast and perfect. No modesty on my part.

Also... Philip is a lovely, softspoken person. The best kind of colleague, whom I only want good things to happen.

Me..... Well.........:D.

Can't say anymore here publicly. I am not a journalist, everyone knows this.
    I have encouraged Philip to "translate" large portions of my review. Much will be cut, or re-worded.

It's very important to me, personally, and for those who know me, to have reasons for any rants. This does not mean I am right.
    My point of view is inherently subjective. It is not a small task and a wonderful thing that someone will filter out my rants.
    Greater clarity to points made, and a less personal article without my napalm death approach.
    (ie." don't string us along" was originally submitted as "Holy shit, what the fuck are you doing ?")

It does need to be factual. One's opinion on that fact is another issue.

For example, Sibelius (Avid) has a yearly subscription fee: Fact.
    Subscriptions don't bother me (opinion), as I do the same for the hosting of my web site, or pay for X minutes for my phone even when I don't use them. etc. Many people hate (opinion), subscriptions.

Also.... the high-end professional community is a small percent of customers, so there are just fundamental "lines in the sand."

*** I HAVE NOT HAD A CHANCE TO LOOK AT ANY OF THE ORCHESTRAL/NOTATION FEATURES.

GUITAR TABS = THE BATTLEFIELD. I think these guys copied my review.

Many, many of the other features look really cool, and I will be purchasing Dorico myself. I will also continue with Sibelius. It's not binary for me.

PS. I can't imagine what software engineers deal with. It's like how now we have a label on Tide laundry detergent "do not eat". WTF!
    Some people can be so stupid.

Did you read the article about the new feature for the Auto-save folder? What was that guy thinking?
    Somethings need to fall on the individual too.

Mauro Pantin likes this.