1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Detective music

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Doug Gibson, Sep 27, 2019.

1. I posted the "fever" knock off from this project a while ago, and thought I would post these three.

Basically the brief was

• Pink Panther - style
    • Burlesque stripper music
    • Swing, Swing, Swing - style
    It was for a company that makes "spy cameras". They wanted to use this montage for a big trade show in which they would have 2-3 models wearing tight outfits like star trek but the images of the crowd would be on the screen. Basically to show the cameras are undetectable.

2. That's great stuff! A lot of fun and really well done. What a strange brief for a strange presentation with the spy cameras and models. That being said, it ended up generating some cool music.

Doug Gibson likes this.
  3. Your wah wah trumpet writing is legit.

I wonder how do you go about writing that. I know you mainly use notation, so what exactly do you notate? Did you have the entire thing in your head while writing and all the wah-wah stuff is (somehow) notated? Or do you write it a bit more vaguely, hire your favorite player and let them just go at it?

Doug Gibson likes this.
  4. This. http://nadjenoordhuis.com/

Aaron Venture likes this.
  5. I don't know if anyone recalls I posted once about using words and syllables as a basis for a melody.
    This would be a case in point. Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 1.38.41 PM.png

Dillon DeRosa and Aaron Venture like this.
  6. Very cool! Reminds me of an old computer game that I played, called Mafia!

Do you mean the one where your example syllables were "into the night"? I think I need to try that too some time, thanks for reminding me.

Doug Gibson likes this.
  7. I love it! My favorite is the first version. Very transparent and clear and perfect. Though wait a minute - the last one is Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall right? Gets intense.

Doug Gibson likes this.
  8. I love the composition, and the arrangement is totally legit! Incredibly impressive!
    It really sounds like you mastered all three styles, "legit" and "cool" are the words I would use for this :)

Doug Gibson likes this.