1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Detective music

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Doug Gibson, Sep 27, 2019.

1. I posted the "fever" knock off from this project a while ago, and thought I would post these three.

Basically the brief was

• Pink Panther - style
    • Burlesque stripper music
    • Swing, Swing, Swing - style
    It was for a company that makes "spy cameras". They wanted to use this montage for a big trade show in which they would have 2-3 models wearing tight outfits like star trek but the images of the crowd would be on the screen. Basically to show the cameras are undetectable.

2. That's great stuff! A lot of fun and really well done. What a strange brief for a strange presentation with the spy cameras and models. That being said, it ended up generating some cool music.

Doug Gibson likes this.
  3. Your wah wah trumpet writing is legit.

I wonder how do you go about writing that. I know you mainly use notation, so what exactly do you notate? Did you have the entire thing in your head while writing and all the wah-wah stuff is (somehow) notated? Or do you write it a bit more vaguely, hire your favorite player and let them just go at it?

Doug Gibson likes this.
  4. This. http://nadjenoordhuis.com/

Aaron Venture likes this.
  5. I don't know if anyone recalls I posted once about using words and syllables as a basis for a melody.
    This would be a case in point. Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 1.38.41 PM.png

Dillon DeRosa and Aaron Venture like this.
  6. Very cool! Reminds me of an old computer game that I played, called Mafia!

Do you mean the one where your example syllables were "into the night"? I think I need to try that too some time, thanks for reminding me.

Doug Gibson likes this.
  7. I love it! My favorite is the first version. Very transparent and clear and perfect. Though wait a minute - the last one is Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall right? Gets intense.

Doug Gibson likes this.
  8. I love the composition, and the arrangement is totally legit! Incredibly impressive!
    It really sounds like you mastered all three styles, "legit" and "cool" are the words I would use for this :)

Doug Gibson likes this.