1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Sample Library GUI

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by George Streicher, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Hey all! I'm interested in trying to put together some custom sample libraries and I'd like to create my own standalone GUI.

Anyone have any experience with this? I know how to create one that's usable in Kontakt, but it has all kinds of hoops to jump through.

David Healey likes this.
  2. I know this is 6 months too late but you are better with Kontakt or Falcon.

To make your own GUI you'd need to code your own engine too which is no small task. The best way to start would be by looking at JUCE which is a C++ framework for making audio plugins.

https://juce.com/

JUCE gives you the fundamental blocks for the UI and DSP. It also gives you pre-configured projects for Xcode and Visual Studio. The sky is the limit, but if you haven't coded before it would be better to moderate your expectations. Programming is hard, and C++ is generally considered a difficult language for beginners.

George Streicher likes this.
  3. If you want to use JUCE then you should check out HISE.

If you're interested in Kontakt specifically then I have a bunch of tutorials on YouTube and a Kontakt scripting masterclass available from my website (currently on sale ;))

4. Oh wow this looks fantastic. Have you used it? How is the performance, DFD, etc?

David Healey likes this.
  5. Of course! I've been using it since before version 1. It's all I use now for my sample development projects. All the products I've built with HISE are available at (my other) site. Hexeract and PercX by Auddict were also built with HISE as were a number of plugins by other developers.

Comparable to Kontakt's. It's difficult to put a hard number to the stats because it depends on the plugin, the samples, and the scripts. In my experience it's generally a little lighter on CPU than Kontakt, and it's a bit faster to open (in FL studio anyway).

Pier Bover likes this.
  6. Not sure if you are under NDA or something... can you share how much is a commercial HISE license?

7. I don't have the commercial license so I don't know. You'd need to ask the HISE developer. What I do know is if you want to make a proprietary plugin you will also need a commercial JUCE license.

8. Sorry I thought you needed a commercial license to sell products made with HISE.

AFAIK you can release a commercial JUCE product with the free version but it shows the "made with JUCE" thing and it sends usage info to Roli.

9. Nope, only to sell proprietary products (aka closed source).

Yep I think you are correct about this. There is also a revenue limit for the free license. As with HISE, JUCE is dual licensed with the GNU GPL (although they've hidden it on their website now).