1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Critique-ready soundtrack - Determination

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Stefanos Arz, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Kiran's Determination

Paul T McGraw and Bjarke Tan like this.
  2. Really good job I really like how you use the idea in the introduction throughout the piece however it might help with a second idea as well to help to keep the interest in the piece. I know that there is a second idea somewhere in the piece but it feels like too little time was spend on it.
    Something I notice in around the 1-minute mark the orchestration sounds a bit thin I think if hear correctly it because of too many octaves. Using too many octaves doesn't really add a strong harmony since its the same tone. Maybe it could use some open voice chords or counterpoint that doesn't hit the octave that much. Or it might be I think its the viola that repeats the same note I feel like it doesn't get much support. Otherwise, I think you did a fantastic job. It's really great to see that you spend more time developing an idea longer sometimes the composer doesn't spend enough time with their idea and move on too quickly. And I think you were really good at using the strings effectively most of the time.

Stefanos Arz likes this.
  3. Thanks for your feedback @Bjarke Tan . I agree with you about everything. My initial idea was to use a single idea and make it in style of 00' video games, you know with only 5 channels and doubled notes to add that "shallow" character.
    Use of strings is pretty effective mostly as I am professional string player myself. Too bad the track is played by Noteperformer 3

Bjarke Tan likes this.
  4. @Stefanos Arz this sounds great so far. I do think it would be more effective if you had more going on. In the Rimsky-Korsakov book on orchestration, he talks about the three layers of foreground, middle ground, and background, to create a "full" sound. Obviously, you do not want a full sound continuously, but you do need it to provide contrast with the thinner sections.

In any event, great work so far.

Stefanos Arz likes this.
  5. @Paul T McGraw really solid argument, thanks. No arguing with Rimsky-Korsakov hahah. Funny thing, I started reading that book 2 days before I saw you comment. Anyway fresher and better works will be uploaded soon.

Paul T McGraw likes this.