1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Confusion on hass effect and early reflections

Discussion in 'Orchestration 3 - Presets' started by Richie Kennon, Jan 7, 2020.

1. In the video a sample delay is used directly on the instrument track. The track is than sent to an altiverb.
    I'm confused as to how this would create an early reflection. Would this not just be a pre delay? Or in the case of delaying just one side shift the stereo image. Wouldn't the sample delay have to be in parallel in order to create the illusion of early reflections? Also altiverb already has a built in early reflection module by default. It's not apparent from the video if this was engaged.

2. Typically when using a "send" you mix that back in with the direct signal (as opposed to "in-line" which is in series). So when using a send, the reverb is typically set at 100% (otherwise you'd get strange phasing when mixed back with the direct). With the Haas effect, this will occur as long as you've also delaying the direct as well (not sure how Mike handles this in his mix). No time to type in the details required to explain all of this properly. If its not clear, search for some tutorials on YT (lots of good info there) and experiment around on your own.

However, JFYI, you really need many more than just two delays to simulate the complex reflections in a room. This is where the Altiverb Impulse does a pretty good job of capturing the "sense" of a room so that's what I use Altiverb for. However, any impulse response will always be static so that's why Altiverb added "modulation" to simulate the sense of movement that happens in a real space. Even these tiny movements in a room make a difference. And on a larger scale, you can hear the effects of air movement in the sound of thunder as the air swirls, and the sound phases, and dopplers around. All fun stuff, but don't let the technical aspects of mixing distract you too far away from music making.

3. In Altiverb you can also disable the early reflections and pre-dealy if you prefer to handle them differently. It can be particularly useful when you're working with delays and/or other plugins that provide early reflections but no reverb tail.

4. Thanx guys.
    I think I just misinterpreted Mike's use of the haas effect.
    The delays are for panning and width. Altiverb is used for the ER's and tail.