1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Classical pieces that influenced this style

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Michael Lückgen, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Hey Guys,

I would really like to study this particular style of music, which was used a lot in 90s kids movies I think.
    Here are two examples:

Here is the more Comical stuff

(at least the beginning of it)

And a bit more Heartwarming stuff

Does anyone know references to this style/or styles of classical music, so I can get the scores and transcribe it?

2. #2 Jan Rothenbusch, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    I think a comparable piece would be this one by Alan Silvestri:

Which was partly inspied by this:

So i guess Rimsky-Korsakov would be a good first adress!

Paul Poole and Michael Lückgen like this.
  3. Awesome, thank you!

Jan Rothenbusch likes this.
  4. Theres also some cool stuff in the Aladdin Suite by Carl Nielsen, especially the Chinese Dance & Negroes' Dance.

5. #5 Stephen Limbaugh, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    For some melodic material, also may reacquaint yourself with the melodies from Bizet, Rossini, Gilbert and Sullivan, Waltz from the Merry Widow (forgot who wrote it), Stephen Foster, and Souza.

6. #6 Paul Poole, Jul 8, 2021
    The Hollywood way for some of that family film fun stuff is to ride the Lydian like that hillbilly does Ned Beatty in Deliverance.

I really can't think of much that is terribly close to what you referenced, but, orchestration-wise and technique for underscore for movies of that nature, i.e., for the light animato type of movement, I think about half of Petrushka would be helpful. Just hunt and peck for those bits that interest you.

Also, here are some bits and pieces of Ravel that might hit home for you. Some of it (and Petrushka) is stuff that influenced Carl Stalling and that cartoon school. Not precisely what you asked about, but some of the technique is largely applicable I think.

The parts with vocals you'll just need to listen past that to the orchestra and in your head just replace the voice with a muted trumpet or other substitute of your choice.

The applicable parts start at the time point I set and don't last very long; 15 seconds, 30 seconds, a minute, whatever...

Michael Lückgen likes this.
  7. #7 Paul Poole, Jul 8, 2021
    For heartwarming...

Excerpt from Copland's Red Pony Suite. He does a couple of toe-taps on Appalachian Spring, but there's no harm in that of course. First couple of minutes or so:

For Pastoral heartwarming, there's Dvorak's Largo from Sym. 9. Once the english horn starts in after the brass chorale intro, I swear I can see the sprawling fields and the cows grazing. Just remarkable:

More Dvorak. First 7 bars (about 30 seconds) of 2nd movement of Sym. 8 are a lesson in tugging at the heart strings, plus which the technique of withholding the low end at first and then bringing in at the perfect time to clinch the moment:

8. #8 Paul Poole, Jul 8, 2021
    Although you didn't ask about this, here's how to score an explosion using low brass and a puffer fish of a bass trombone player who just said "Fuck these assholes; I'm King Bone!"