1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Chromatic Bassline

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Claude Ruelle, Sep 25, 2018.

1. #1 Claude Ruelle, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. I'm diggin it. Wished it was a little longer...... say 70 seconds or so. (in total)

Nice work !

Doug

Claude Ruelle likes this.
  3. Thanks Doug,

Yes, I'd like to take it a little further - However, I don't think I will carry on with the ascending bassline as it will probably start to get tiring. Any advice on how I should expand that idea?

4. Nice idea. Loved the Broadway musical harmony

5. Maybe, as an exersice, you could try to modulate to different keys in the B-section

6. Why not make your B section descending ? That way it's like a palindrome ..... sort a. Just descend chromatically so you now have an example of both.
    I'm only referring to the bass, the whole thing does not need to descend.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  7. You did that really tastefully, well done. It didn't feel like it was an exercise.

8. All right, so I finally took a little bit of time to work on this. I basically tried to expand the piece whilst keeping the idea of having as many chromatic movements as possible in the bass - at this stage, I'm struggling with the structure and I feel like I will never be able to finish that piece. The chromatic movements led to a lot of modulations and it's making it difficult to write something that feels concluded. I've been experimenting with many ideas and it literally feels like I could go forever without finding an end...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvpy926qlpbu3b7/Chromatic Bassline V2.mp3?dl=0

Bradley Boone and Mattia Chiappa like this.
  9. Well done! A lot of nice stuff in there

10. I really enjoyed hearing the expansion of your idea from version 1 to version 2. There's a handful of bars that tweak my ear, but I appreciate the effort - nice playing/playback. I agree with your quote above regarding the sense of "conclusion" and the cause of your dilemma (a lot of modulations). I'll listen again a few times and see if I can pin down what's going on and find some more stability. Thanks for sharing it.

11. 3-2-1 is pretty much a sure fire way to end a piece.

Ever listen to this piece ?

12. #12 Claude Ruelle, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Thank you guys for your feedback.

@Doug Gibson, I really like that piece - The fact that he keeps that Bb all throughout is quite clever as everything becomes articulated around it. The whole piece is clearly in Bb minor (Db major) and every movement seems to aim towards that because of that Bb note resonating the whole time. Maybe I should try to come up with a similar approach...

EDIT: I just looked at the score and noticed that the key signature is Gb major. Interesting...

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.