1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Chasing Brilliance Orchestral Overture

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by David Carovillano, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Hi all,

When I first did this piece in 2015 as a midi newbie, I went through dozens of changes/versions, settling on this one. I only had access to the Vienna Symphonic Cube (standard library) and now, looking back, with access to extended libraries, Dimension Strings, among other things, I wish I had the time to re-do this piece. There's so much that I know could be improved, but for the time, it represented the best of our (my wife, Becky is my midi production partner!) abilities. It reminds me of something our producer said when Becky and I recorded our first Acclarion album: "a CD is a post card in time of where you are right now in your artistry and ability." Anyway, I'm sure we all wish we could go back and fix our old productions, but there aren't enough hours in the day.

The blurb below describes the piece: Chasing Brilliance is an orchestral overture that shares the clarity and grandiosity of Classical era symphonic works with adventurous contemporary harmonies and driving rhythmic energy. It is a metaphor for overcoming the struggles we encounter in life as we strive towards the light at the end of the tunnel, ever chasing the glimmer of hope (which at times seems elusive, like the fleeting lyrical sections) and beating the obstacles in our path. Always driving forward, climbing, grasping, chasing the dream that is just out of reach.

William Kersten likes this.
  2. That is an excellent, imaginative composition, and though it would probably be a lot of work would deserve the updating with the more detailed later instruments and refined mix. Though how you handled the earlier version of the performance is very impressive!

3. Thanks, Bill! So, I'm going to do the unthinkable...assuming it goes on sale in the next week (or for Christmas), I'm going to purchase the Spitfire BBO Orchestra and try my hand with a different "ecosystem." I'm currently working on a few different orchestral pieces (some are in the 25 minute plus range, which as you know makes them a lot more involved than shorter works) and after a few months of work, I'm reaching my limits of frustration not getting exactly what I want. I know how insanely capable VSL is and it will always be my "go to", but I think I owe it to myself out of curiosity to see what else is out there. Perhaps the workflow/intuitive nature of their stuff will sit better with me at this stage where I have more composed music waiting to be "midified" than I'll ever get to at the pace I'm going.

Dave

4. I don't own any spitfire library and I don't want to talk you out of it, but if I were in your position, I would try buying their new "epic strings" first, as a way to test out the new player plugin. Some people seem to have problems with it.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/originals

Afaik BBCSO won't "go on sale", but "introduction price" will return. And if you buy during a certain time period on the spitfire store, you'll get another string library for free I think (apperture strings?).

5. Hi Martin,

My apologies for my late response! Thanks for giving me this heads up. I'm not entirely convinced yet, and the hundreds of pages of comments on the VI forum are overwhelming. I don't honestly know if I'll buy the Spitfire BBC library this week, unless I can spend a little time really going over what it's all about. I don't want to have buyer's remorse, (ala Synchron Strings which I've given up on).

Dave

6. I haven't followed it super closely (what crazy person reads all 7000+ posts on one single library???), but I can tell you some people had buyers remorse, some people liked it a lot, the new player has caused problems for a bunch of people, mainly on windows, and if I recall correctly the same "intro price" will come back around christmas when they normally do their wishlist sale (not 100% sure but should be easy enough to confirm and seems likely). So there's no time pressure, just wait. Sooner or later it's gonna be on sale for even more than it currently is for sure.

I've heard some very lovely music made with it, but I don't think it's a "must have" library by any stretch.

If your main issue is "efficiency" and not sound, I'm not sure if "another library" is the answer anyway. Unfortunately I don't know anything about VSL, but maybe there are new workflows to be explored on the DAW side that might yield some improvements. E.g. cubase expression maps, reaper with reaticulate, or whatever else there may be. I can't help you with this, since I don't have experience with those, but I'm in general a big believer of questioning and improving workflows for computer work. There's a lot that can be optimized if you set your mind to it.

7. Thanks again, Martin! Your input along with a few others on the VI forum have saved me a big hit to my wallet this month. I'm definitely going to look at ways to tweak the workflow, and explore Mir in more depth (not that I haven't already gone beyond the basics with it...but one can go crazy with that stuff!)

Cheers,
    Dave