1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Brass Wars !!

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Hur Ozan Cerrahoglu, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Hi There,

I tried to get the vintage battle scene vibe.
    Mostly it's about brass, inspired by hollywood brass m.c. "Brass Battle" piece in particular.
    I was seeking Williams sounds so i found a random animation in youtube to score over it.
    Animation has different music. All feedbacks are welcome. (I am not sure about I-IV-V here, with the battle scene at hand.)

2. I like your track. I know almost nothing about film scoring, but I enjoyed the music as music. I also like your sound.

My one suggestion would be to do more with strings and woodwinds. I know it is a brass piece and I love brass. Just saying you could perhaps do some counter-melody stuff "in the holes" when the brass are holding long notes. Just a thought. Great track!

Mattia Chiappa likes this.
  3. Many thanks for feedback. ) they are very positive though.. ))

About counter melodies, indeed you are were right.

How does your ear find the dissonant major chords (star wars chords or petrushka chords) in the middle of minor melodies? It seems if the back ground is same, ear accepts these dissonances.

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  4. I just listened again. I did not hear anything that seemed ugly or out of place to me. I have a high tolerance for a passing dissonance, so I might not be the best judge, but I like the harmonies. I would not change them.

5. Hi Ozan,

Sure I enjoyed the vibrance and orchestration of the track too. Just one little thing which I think you were anyways not going for: Create a cohesvie piece of music. This is something which I feel could be a focus for your music in general. All the quotations you do here are cool on their own but there is very less merit and interlocking connection between them. They often feel like "thrown" into the pot to demonstrate some sophistication in your writing which you sure have, but be careful it can also feel like you glued just one part after the other which feels very much like a collage of very different ideas for me so that they don´t communicate that much.
    My only tip: Create a motif and stick to it or if you want to go other ways which is fine, try to recapitulate that motif e.g. as counterlines or in different flavored moods.

6. Thank you very much Alexander, about cohesiveness it makes so much sense and I absolutely agree with you, just my capacity is not enough yet for it but working on it... :) Getting there slowly.
    For now I just try to make sure each track I write is a baby step ahead than previous one.

Best,

Alexander Schiborr likes this.
  7. Hey brother, sure that is awesome your post your work here and I see that you are puttting a lot of effort into. It shows off definitely.

8. Have to say that I totally agree with Alexander. The sound, the orchestration, the vibe are all showing how much skill you have. There's clearly an immense amount of work gone into this - and I wish I could make my work sound as convincing and polished.

The only thing missing is within the music itself. When I'm 30 seconds in I'm still trying to lock on to a melody/motif, and I don't get a sense of the fitting together into a whole, I think Mike V might comment that it doesn't actually say anything. But wow, have you got the other aspects nailed down tight.

9. Not to knock down your writing, but it seems like you are approaching this from a backwards mentality - you are exercising all of these sophisticated colours and orchestrations, while working towards cohesiveness and efficient usage of motifs, when you should be starting with writing simple motifs in simple pieces and developing them to provide interest, and introduce sophisticated devices when you have a firm grasp on the basic concepts. Yeah, I am repeating Mike's words here, but I strongly believe that this is the most optimal way to approach this.

Alexander Schiborr likes this.
  10. Thanks!!!!

11. Thanks a lot for positive comments, true about motives and music, which was not my target on this particular exercise )) i was totally after John Williams dissonance orchestral gestures from battle scenes with acceptable amount of dissonances. I even threw in the star wars motif for a second because it would fit (Gm on the back, sudden strike with fanfares; Bmaj and Abmaj) Surely, i have no idea how he connects those motives, i watched almost all masterclasses on Mike's inventory and understand the concept but applying is not so easy ))